List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BAILEY WALLS, SOUTH EAST RANGE TO HERTFORD CASTLE (HERTFORD CASTLE DEMOLISHED)

List entry Number: 1268985

Location

BAILEY WALLS, SOUTH EAST RANGE TO HERTFORD CASTLE (HERTFORD CASTLE DEMOLISHED)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHertford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 461233

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HERTFORD

TL3212SE HERTFORD CASTLE 817-1/19/311 Bailey walls, south-east range to 10/02/50 Hertford Castle (Hertford Castle demolished) (Formerly Listed as: Hertford Castle: SE range Bailey Walls, N range Bailey Walls)

GV II*

Curtain wall along south-east side of Castle Bailey. Late C12, c1171-4, with later repairs and alterations. Flint rubble with clunch quoins, with repairs in Portland stone and red brick, English bond. At left (SW corner) is ruined polygonal tower, known as the postern, flint with clunch quoins, with early C19 crenellations with Portland stone caps. To the north is the truncated spur of the west wall which was originally linked to the gate house, and was demolished by the Marquess of Downshire c1791. To the east is a postern gate, with an unmoulded pointed arch and vault in clunch, C13, restored. The main run of the wall extends north-eastwards, 1.7-2m thick, 4-5m high max, externally much repaired in brick with early C19 crenellations. This run of walls terminates in a late C18 gateway constructed on the site of the angle bastion, the remains of which were demolished, and the curtain wall was substantially reconstructed to accommodate a broad Tudor headed skew arch, with twin leaf gates, east with 4 long raised panels, nail studded stiles and moulded caps. HISTORICAL NOTE: Hertford Castle reputedly originated as a Saxon fort built by order of King Alfred against the Danes encamped at Ware. The castle was built (or reconstructed) by William I shortly after 1066 as a motte and bailey - the motte mount, 22 ft high, remains in the north angle of the castle precinct overlooking the river. In 1171-4, at the behest of Henry II ยป171 was spent, probably on the replacement of the wooden palisade by the flint rubble curtain wall. The castle was periodically improved and had a double moat, the outer moat following the line of the north side of Castle Street, and the east side of Parliament Square and The Wash. An embankment separated the two moats, broadening into the Outer Ward to the west of the Gate House. The inner moat ran around the perimeter of the curtain wall. Long since infilled, the vestiges of the moats can be seen in the undulating land forms of the approach to the south postern from Castle Street, and in the hollow behind the properties in Castle Street and Parliament Square. The Bailey occupies an area of 2.3 acres,

and the castle precinct 7.75 acres. Hertford Castle Gate House, curtain walls, motte and bailey and precinct (qqv) are a Scheduled Ancient Monument. (Turnor L: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1830-: 16-52, 308-12; Victoria History of the Counties of England: Hertfordshire: London: 1902-1912: 501-6; Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire: London: 1910-: 113; The King's Works: London: 1963-: 678-71; Hertfordshire Countryside: Davies HG: 'From Royal Palace to Council Offices': Letchworth: 1946-1971: 34-38; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 187).



Listing NGR: TL3248412433

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1902), 501-506
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 187
Turnor, L , History of Hertford, (1830), 16-52
Turnor, L , History of Hertford, (1830), 308-312
'Hertfordshire Countryside' in Hertfordshire Countryside, (1946-1971), 34-38
Allen Brown, R, Colvin, H M, Taylor, A J, 'History of The Kings Works' in History of the Kings Works the Middle Ages, (1963), 670-671
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 32484 12433

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 08:08:58.