List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LOMBARD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1268978

Location

LOMBARD HOUSE, BULL PLAIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHertford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 461270

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HERTFORD

TL3212NE BULL PLAIN 817-1/17/21 (East side) 10/02/50 Lombard House

GV II*

House, now club, set back within garden at head of Bull Plain. C15, extended early C17, refronted C18. repaired 1980s after fire. MATERIALS: timber-framed and plastered above brick base on north elevation; south front red brick, Flemish bond; old tiled roofs hipped behind tall parapet with stone coping on south side. PLAN: hall plan with 2 cross wings, first floor inserted, and house extended to rear, oversailing river. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attics and basement. Front (south) elevation has irregular 7-bay fenestration reflecting earlier structural subdivisions; first floor 2 closely spaced tall flush-set 12-pane sash windows at left, shallow break back in elevation, then 2 slightly recessed, squatter 12-pane sashes, single bay break forward with one 12-pane sash, break back with 2 widely spaced 12-pane sashes at lower level. All windows beneath rubbed brick segmental arches, with flat tops below projecting plat band, and panelled blind recesses in parapet above corresponding to spacing of windows below. Ground floor has similar fenestration but uniform 12-pane sashes, isolated segmental arch at right with brickwork below indicates blocked void; plat band immediately above arches; projecting plinth below sill level, rendered to left of porch. Projecting early C20 porch covers central bay; timber-framed with lattice-glazed sidelights, moulded arcading around doorway, frieze with consoles, hipped lead roll roof. C18 brick and weatherboarded, pantile-roofed single storey lean-to at far right (east). Left side (west) elevation to street frontage approaching the Folly bridge has jettied corner where the brick front abuts the late C19 plastered and pebbledashed flank. First floor has mullion and transom window in partly rebuilt extended chimneybreast, remainder of elevation plastered above brickwork. Rear (north) elevation rises sheer from the river with colourwashed brick retaining wall, and first floor and attics jettied out. Irregular fenestration; first floor with four 18 pane Yorkshire sashes; 3 wood casements in central gabled attic bays; modern 3-light casement with glazing bars below jetty at left, and small altered ground floor and basement

casements centre and right. Roof: 3 gabled casement dormers, gabled at rear - low gable at left, 3 tall narrow central gables, and broad gable at right; 3 and 2 shafted brick chimneystacks with band and oversailing courses (early C20 rebuild) to rear of front roof, tall red brick stack with band and oversailing course (early C20 shaft rebuilt on C17 English Bond external chimneybreast). INTERIOR: much altered, but retains C15, C17 and later features. Right-hand (east) cross wing has a 2 bay structure, with central cambered tie beam, with remains of heavy arch bracing, and partly exposed crown post roof, with fore and aft bracing; first floor originally jettied but now underbuilt with C18 brick front. Ground floor opened out into single space, has central fireplace on rear wall, with Mannerist early/mid C17 surround, with squat Tuscan pilasters, with flutes bead-filled, planted carved grotesque heads, shelf with carved elongated egg-and-dart nosing and overmantel with 3 richly carved consoles with cloven feet, fruit swags and griffins heads, with square raised and fielded panels with carved painted and gilded shield of arms. Some early C17 panelling and a fragment of early C18 bolection moulded panelling. Former left-hand (west) room has restored brick fireplace on outer (west) wall with flat 4 centred arch with moulded extrados and jambs. Staircase behind fireplace in west wing has stick balusters and simple moulded handrail. First floor has late C17/early C18 panelling, and roll moulded cornice, in Chauncy Room, created by insertion of intermediate floor in former open hall. Mid C17 fire surround with Tuscan pilasters with fielded and raised panels, on plinths with raised lozenges; above fire are 2 panels with relief-carved foliated pilasters, arches and spandrels. At left (west) the Billiard Room occupies the first floor of the cross wing. Plain late C17 fire surround on west wall with shelf on quadrant moulding and overmantel with recessed squares and 'L's with bolection surrounds - similar panelling, possibly reset, below C19 window to right of fireplace. Crown post roof above ceiling truncated at front. Extensive attics now used only for storage; central roof structures partly visible indicate substantial rebuilding of former central range in creation of first floor and refronting, front dormers below purlin level of front slope. Moulded brick band around rear of main stack appears to indicate that it predates construction of the central outshoots overhanging the river. A length of C17 railing with turned column and bobbin balusters appears to be from the landing of a staircase now removed: in the easternmost attic the top portion of a stair alongside the chimneystack is visible but cut and blocked off below.

HISTORICAL NOTE: Lombard House was the home of Sir Henry Chauncy (d.1700), lawyer, Steward of the Borough, and subsequently Recorder under the Charter of 1681, and historian of Hertfordshire. The property was also known as 'Malloryes', and was used as a judges' residence during C18. (Turnor L: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1830-: 283-5, 402-5; Victoria History of the Counties of England: Hertfordshire: London: 1902-1912; Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire: London: 1910-: 112; East Herts Archaeological Society Newsletter: Lombard House: Hertford: 1949-1965; Forrester H: Timber-framed buildings in Hertford and Ware: Hitchin: 1964-: 14-16; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 190; Green L: Hertford's Past in pictures: Ware: 1993-: 29, 75, 156).



Listing NGR: TL3260712741

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1902)
Forrester, H , Timber Framed Buildings in Hertford and Ware, (1964), 14-16
Green, L, Hertfords Past in Pictures, (1993), 29 75 156
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 190
Turnor, L , History of Hertford, (1830), 283-285
Turnor, L , History of Hertford, (1830), 402-405
'East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society Newsletter' in East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society Newsletter, (1949-1965)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 32607 12741

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:56:03.