List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1268928

Location

1 AND 2, MARKET PLACE
3-11, FORE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHertford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 461307

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HERTFORD

TL3212NE FORE STREET 817-1/17/61 (North side) 10/02/50 Nos.3-11 (Odd)

GV II*

Includes: Nos.1 AND 2 MARKET PLACE. Tenements, with ground floor shops, upper floors now part offices and part flats; one building with Nos 1 and 2 Market Place. Mid C17 (c1662) altered C18 and C19, restored 1940 and 1989-90. Timber-framed, plastered and pargeted, old tiled double roof above moulded cornice, and broad overhanging eaves, with hipped end facing Market Place. Square brick chimneystacks, some with long orange clay pots. EXTERIOR: range of 5 tenements on each upper floors, entered from lobbies on stair landings, located centrally between chimneystacks; 3 storeys and attics. First floor facing Fore Street has 9 flush-set 12-pane sash windows with architrave surrounds and cornice heads, grouped 2:4 left to centre and 1:1:1 at right. Second-floor windows with generally similar spacing, 2 sashes at left, two 3-light wood casements with leaded glazing of metal opening lights, and blocked window between, at centre, and three 3-light wood casements with glazing bars at right. First floor facing Market Place has flush-set 16-pane sash window at left and a recessed 16-pane sash at right; second floor with 3-light wood casements with glazing bars left and right and blocked 2-light window in centre. Except for No.3 Fore Street which is plain plastered, the Fore Street and Market Place elevations are pargeted on upper floors, with modelled foliated scrollwork, cartouches and panels of shell pattern. Ground floor has continuous shopfronts: that to No.3 Fore Street double fronted and of early C19 date, with small paned windows, panelled stallrisers, recessed entrance,and pilasters as outer surround with cornice above fascia. A 6-panelled door at right gives entry to alleyway leading to stair access to flats above. No.5 has recessed double fronted early C19 shopfront comprised of oriel bow windows with glazing bars, supported on brackets, and a recessed entrance with half glazed doors and blind box/cornice above. No.7 has C2 small-paned bow window shopfront. Nos 9 and 11, with return to Market Place, has C20 timber shopfront approximately reproducing the previous late C19 shopfronts, but with deeper fascia, cornice with console supports. INTERIOR: ground floor of Nos 9 & 11 and 1 & 2 Market Place

opened out into single space during late 1980s conversion to building society offices. However there are some exposed chamfered beams, particularly in the corner where a heavy dragon beam, chamfered and stopped with a concave tongue is visible with part of a mortice for a dragon post. The post at the first bay line is of C20 date but the beam above has 4 peg holes which appear to have housed a bracket supporting a jetty above. The ground floor is shown in a Rowlandson print c1800 with a bold coved cornice, with tiled roof above the ground floor shops, but the corner is not visible and evidence for a jetty is not conclusive. Beams and some studwork are visible on the ground floor of No.5, which has a newel stair fronted above but leading to basement, where there is a beam possibly reset with mortices for a medieval floor structure, and red brick walls in an irregular English bond. Upper floors of Nos 9-11 and 1 & 2 Market Place now divided with office suites accessible through ground floor building society offices. Newel stairs no longer lead down to ground floor. Sashes of first-floor rooms overlooking Market Place have quadrant bars, and the corner room has C18 cupboard with 3 raised and fielded panel doors with semicircular heads. The stair retains a portion of a mid/late C17 baluster with column splats on moulded plinth bases, bold moulded handrail and square newel post with stylised urn finial. Second floors have exposed heavy beams, with dragon beams at corner of block and at end of Market Place frontage, also wall plates and storey plates, together with framing around windows and some primary bracing; main beams chamfered with butt stops - no tongues on south side of building; some C19 cast-iron firegrates. Attics within roof space with some exposed principal rafters, reset battened plank doors, fireplaces with timber bressumers, plastered heads and cheeks. Double roof of 'M' configuration concealed by hipped end facing Market Place, structure of heavy rafters and butt purlins. HISTORICAL NOTE: this range of substantial mid C17 urban tenements is of a scale rare in Hertfordshire. Although the local historian HC Andrews linked the buildings with residency constructed for court officials during late C16 outbursts of plague, when the court and parliament was removed to Hertford, there is little architectural evidence for a structure earlier than mid C17, although a number of earlier timbers are visible. The construction has recently been identified with an entry in the Hearth Tax returns for Michaelmas 1662, when John Holywell paid for 11 hearths in his own house and 36 in five houses untenanted.

(Forrester H: Timber-framed buildings in Hertford and Ware: Hitchin: 1964-: 19-21; Hertfordshire Countryside: Moodey G: Old buildings in the County Town: Letchworth: 1946-1973: 47; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 189; Smith JT: English Houses 1200-1800: The Hertfordshire Evidence: London: 1992-: 159-60, 162, 164; Smith JT: Hertfordshire Houses: Selective Inventory: London: 1993-: 84; Green L: Hertford's Past in pictures: Ware: 1993-: 110; Page FM: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1993-: 64-67).



Listing NGR: TL3264312569

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Forrester, H , Timber Framed Buildings in Hertford and Ware, (1964), 19-21
Green, L, Hertfords Past in Pictures, (1993), 110
Page, F M, History of Hertford, (1993), 64-67
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 189
Smith, J T, English Houses 1200-1800 The Hertfordshire Evidence, (1994), 159-160
Smith, J T, English Houses 1200-1800 The Hertfordshire Evidence, (1994), 162 164
Smith, J T, Hertfordshire Houses Selective Inventory, (1993), 84
'Hertfordshire Countryside' in Hertfordshire Countryside, (1946-1973), 47

National Grid Reference: TL 32643 12569

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 12:51:25.