List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1268918

Location

130, FORE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHertford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 461339

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HERTFORD

TL3212NE FORE STREET 817-1/17/93 (South side) 10/02/50 No.130

GV II*

House, now offices. Early/ mid C17, front range rebuilt and refronted early C19, late C19 rear gabled outshuts. Timber-framed, plastered, pebbledashed and colourwashed front, plastered rear, with red brick Flemish bond outshut. Welsh slated roof, above broad eaves with paired shallow brackets and panelled soffits to front block; old tiled roof. PLAN: original plan of 4 rooms with central fireplaces serving full width front range, with central entry. 2 rear wings separated by narrow yard (now enclosed), central staircase between fireplaces. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys at front, 2 storeys at rear, with attic room in east facing gable of rear range. First floor has 3 flush-set 16-pane sashes with moulded architrave surrounds. 3 squatter 12-pane windows on second floor. Ground floor has canted mid C19 triple sash bay window with divided glazing at left, and at right C19 shop window divided into 10 large panes, with ventilation strip above. Slim surround with panelled pilasters, consoles flanking fascia, and slim cornice. Central doorway, with late C20 glazed door with arcaded head below fanlight with tracery of interlaced circles, and moulded architrave surround; projecting porch with 4 slender cast-iron Tuscan Doric columns, entablature, and cast-iron balcony railing with interlaced circles and lattice patterns. Rear elevation twin gabled with 2 large C19 sash windows below rubbed red brick flat arches at left, 2-storey canted bay at right with large C19 sashes, and rubbed flat arches and bands of Staffordshire blue bricks. Roof hipped at left (west), gabled at right (east), with twin projecting gables, C20 clay tiles, and with tilehanging in right gable. Chimneystacks in centre, that to right (east) mid C17 red brick, having 6 clustered octagonal flues with moulded bases and cap with mounded bands, that to left (west) rebuilt C18 as single red brick stack with bands and oversailing courses, and 4 orange clay pots. Single storey outbuilding with C20 clay tile roof with projecting tile-hung gable at left (west). INTERIOR: opened out on ground floor and repaired after fire in 1986. Moulded beams in east room, and reproduction oak panelling installed after fire. Brick fireplaces with Tudor

arches with moulded jambs and intrados, that in west room restored. Between chimneys stair with reset heavy newel of tapered pilaster pattern, with square urn finial on pedestal, moulded handrail. Ground floor now opened out into single room with twin adjacent doors, and red brick fireplaces, 8 panel door with cockscomb hinges adjoining. East wall has 2 blocked 2-light windows with ovolo mullions. Rear rooms have C19 fire surrounds, one with eared architraves, bolection frieze, moulded shelf and panelled overmantel. Stair to second floor and attics has stick balusters, and newels with ball finials. West room has C18 architrave fire surround with moulded shelf and late C19 cast-iron grate with 'aesthetic' Japanese disc ornament. Roof structure retains some halved and pegged rafters, and rear east gable has heavy studding. This building has been identified with one of 3 houses built in Hertford by John Kelinge shortly before 1649. (Forrester H: Timber-framed buildings in Hertford and Ware: Hitchin: 1964-: 21-2; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 191; Smith JT: English Houses 1200-1800: The Hertfordshire Evidence: London: 1992-: 158, 163; Smith JT: Hertfordshire Houses: Selective Inventory: London: 1993-: 85).

Listing NGR: TL3286012643

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Forrester, H - Title: Timber Framed Buildings in Hertford and Ware - Date: 1964 - Page References: 21-22
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Smith, J T - Title: English Houses 1200-1800 The Hertfordshire Evidence - Date: 1994 - Page References: 158 163
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Smith, J T - Title: Hertfordshire Houses Selective Inventory - Date: 1993 - Page References: 85
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 191

National Grid Reference: TL 32860 12643

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 07:01:41.