List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE RED HOUSE

List entry Number: 1268915

Location

THE RED HOUSE, 119, FORE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHertford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 461336

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HERTFORD

TL3212NE FORE STREET 817-1/17/90 (North side) 10/02/50 No.119 The Red House

GV II*

House, now offices. Mid C18, with C19 alterations. Red brick, laid to Flemish bond, stucco dressings, wood cornice, hipped old tile roofs with lead rolls above moulded modillion cornice and eaves gutter. 4 multi-flue external brick chimneys with oversailing courses and earthenware pots. Central stair double-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with linked single storey pavilion outbuildings with hipped Welsh slated roofs left and right. Front elevation has chamfered corners with single window left and right, centre with single sash window left and right, on 1st and 2nd floors, 12-pane and 6-pane, recessed in brick reveals under rubbed flat arches, with stucco sills. Centre has canted bay, with brick base, 3 sashes, 8:12:8-pane with moulded cornice and hipped lead roll roof to first floor, and Diocletian lunette with arched 6-pane sash in centre and blank stucco side panels on second floor. Ground floor has single window on chamfered corners, left and right, and single window left and right on main facade, all recessed 12-pane sashes, the latter recessed in arched recess, and with continuous stucco plat band and head level with triple keyblocks. Brick screen wall links to pavilions left and right with stone coping at first floor sill height on main building, and the plat band running across and around the pavilions left and right, each with 1 recessed 12-pane sash on front elevation. Centre of main building has 6-panel door (upper four with leaded glazing with Arts and Crafts pattern) recessed in architrave surround beneath central porch with Tuscan columns and responds, and entablature with projecting cornice, supporting bay window above. Right-hand pavilion has an irregular plan, and incorporates substantial beams from a C17 timber-framed floor structure internally. Right-hand flank elevation has two 4-light wood mullion and transom casement windows, with multi-pane cast-iron upper lights. Left-hand pavilion has Palladian window towards rear of flank elevation, with Tuscan pilasters, frieze and cornice, and sash windows with mid C18 quadrant profile glazing bars. Rear elevation has irregular fenestration with flush ground floor and recessed sashes beneath segmental arches first and

second floor to left, canted bays on ground and first floor, the latter raised above the ground floor original, with single recessed sash on second floor to right, centre with C19 half glazed door having 4 panes and margin glazing beneath C20 flat canopy, and 12- and 6-pane sashes recessed beneath segmental arches to 1st- and 2nd-floor landings. Single-storey brick lean-to with tiled roof to left, single-storey weather-boarded outbuilding with Welsh slated roof to right. INTERIOR: narrow central entrance hall, with arch to rear staircase hall now blocked by late C20 fire door. Ground floor right-hand front room has heavy moulded architrave to door with carved leaf band and bead roll; window architraves similar; dado with moulded rail above panels, recessed, some with carved leaf surrounds, others plain quadrants; wood dentil frieze and cyma recta cornice; fireplace with early C19 cast-iron grate with trellis pattern surround, white marble surround and wood outer surround with egg-and-dart architrave and dentil frieze and egg-and-dart cornice. Early C19 8-panel doors to rear room. Front room left of entrance hall has plain C19 joinery, with white marble fireplace with mid C19 cast-iron grate with modelled rococo scrolls around arch; double doors to rear room which also has C19 gothic pattern cast-iron grate. The rear left-hand (west) room has the Palladian window noted externally, which has a vaulted ceiling above the arched central window, with a modelled cornice surround. The rear hall has an open well plan with late C18/early C19 staircase which rises to the second floor. Newels with narrow panels, and Chinese Chippendale style balustrades, open string, nosed treads with profiled brackets, curtail tread at foot, moulded handrail with caps to newels at foot of flights, ramped up at intermediate landings. First floor landing with double cyma profile wood cornice, and opening with panelled Tuscan pilasters, and semicircular arch with keyblock. Former principal bedrooms opened left and right from vestibule beyond arch, now infilled with firedoor. Front left-hand (west) room has Art Nouveau cast-iron grate in C19 white marble surround; double doors to rear room which has early C19 cast-iron hob grate. Central dressing room, over entrance hall, has cyma cornice, and 6-panel door leading to right-hand (east) from bedroom, with C19 rococo style cast-iron grate. 4 attics on second floor, exposed heavy section timber binder along central spine wall; rear attic sash windows have heavy quadrant glazing bars. Double roof with peg-jointed king post trusses with carpenters' assembly marks, purlins supported on struts and butt-jointed common rafters without ridge board; coach nailing of valley rafters. Cellar has concrete floor,

plaster lining and brick columns to support ground floor. HISTORICAL NOTE: this house was occupied by the owner of Young's Brewery, whose premises lay to the rear and along South Street, from 1754 until 1897 when it, and the brewery land, was acquired by Christs Hospital prior to their rebuilding after the turn of the century. (Hope Bagenal: The Georgian and Post Georgian Buildings of Hertford: 1929-: 9-10; Hertfordshire Countryside: Moodey G: Georgian brickwork of the choicest sort: Letchworth: 1946-1973: 26; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 191).

Listing NGR: TL3289612698

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Bagenal, H - Title: The Georgian and Post Georgian Buildings of Hertford - Date: 1929 - Page References: 9-10
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Hertfordshire Countryside - Date: 1946-1973 - Journal Title: Hertfordshire Countryside - Page References: 26
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 191

National Grid Reference: TL 32896 12698

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2014 at 07:43:34.