List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HEADSTONE APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF SOUTH AISLE OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1268787

Location

HEADSTONE APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF SOUTH AISLE OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, QUEENS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHertford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 461460

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HERTFORD

TL3212SE QUEEN'S ROAD 817-1/20/180 (East side) Headstone approx 10m SE of south aisle of Church of All Saints

GV II

Headstone. 1711. Carved Portland stone, with incised inscriptions obverse and reverse. Naive Baroque style headstone with pediment top with raised scrollwork above 'memento mori'. Incised inscription to Mrs Honor East, wife of William East, (d.1711 aet 43) 'one of those prudent wives whose virtue obliged a good report'. Reverse chamfered and later inscribed to her husband, Mr MW East (d.1721 aet 55) 'who was a tender master many years to ye poor children of Christ's Hospital London, kept in this town'. Inscriptions worn but given in full in Turnor (1830). Headstone possibly moved during rebuilding of church 1891-93 as Turnor locates it north of the church. (Turnor L: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1830-: 229-230).

Listing NGR: TL3280612431

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Turnor, L , History of Hertford, (1830), 229-230

National Grid Reference: TL 32806 12431

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 08:21:55.