List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BAILEY HALL

List entry Number: 1268782

Location

BAILEY HALL, QUEENS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHertford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 461455

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HERTFORD

TL3212SE QUEEN'S ROAD 817-1/20/175 (North side) 10/02/50 Bailey Hall

GV II*

House, subsequently school, now offices. Early C18, C19 extensions at right (east). Grey brick (south) front with red dressings, red flank elevations, rear (north) has red brick with grey quoins to central bays, and grey pilasters with red quoins, all Flemish bond; old tiled roofs concealed by tall parapets with recessed panels and moulded stone copings, chimneystacks rebuilt late C19, red brick with moulded stone band and coping, multiple orange clay pots. PLAN: double-depth plan, central entrance, through hall and staircase on ground floor with 4 principal rooms on each floor, service rooms in basement. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 5-bay principal elevations. First (south) elevation subdivided 1:3:1 by colossal red brick Tuscan pilasters, with moulded Portland stone bases and caps, supporting carved brick triglyphs and a brick carved and moulded forward above the pilasters. 5 nearly flush-set sash windows on each floor, with moulded architraves, those on first and second floors having upper sashes with 4 above 2 panes, and lower sashes plain glazed; ground floor with tall 18-pane sash windows. Windows have red rubbed brick flat arches and quoins, with moulded cornice heads above those on ground and first floors (corresponding to moulded bands across the other elevations), and shallow 2 course red apron bands below sills on first and second floors. Central doorway set above 3 Portland stone steps with C19 scrolled iron railing. Recessed 6 flush panelled door beneath sunburst traceried Adam-style fanlight, in fielded panel reveal. (This is a late C18 replacement door; the original is said to be now installed at No.25 West Street (qv)). Doorcase with fluted Corinthian pilasters with a modillioned cornice and segmental pediment. Narrow single bay late C19 3-storey extension to right (east), yellow-grey brick, with pale orange dressings and flank elevation, hipped Welsh slated roof, with 2-storey canted bay window with plain glazed sashes, flat roofed single storey extension at far right. Yellow brick with red dressings. Rear (north) elevation 5 bays with shallow break forward of centre 3; colossal pilasters, grey brick with red quoins, triglyph cornice, detail as south front, red brick parapet ends to central projection. First floor has five 12

semicircular arched head, second floor with five 12 pane windows, moulded brick bands at first- and second-floor level, the latter arched over the central window, with moulded Portland stone blocks where the bands pass through the grey brickwork framing the central projection. Central doorway 6 steps above ground level with plain wrought-iron railings, and with basement windows visible below rubbed red brick arches at either side. 6 raised and fielded panelled door beneath blind semicircular fanlight with 2 raised and fielded panels, with rusticated inner surround and voussoir arch, with Tuscan Doric columns, entablature, shallow modillioned cornice and pediment. INTERIOR: entrance hall 2 bays, with front and back hall divided by attached three quarter wood Corinthian columns, with one quarter 'buried' responds in outer corners. Bold bolection architraves to 8 panelled doors. Elaborate plaster cornice with foliated modillions, egg-and-dart ornament and dentils. The columns support an entablature with soffit with raised Greek Key ornament. Main stair open well, hardwood, open string, carved tread brackets, curtail steps, iron twist on vase and column on vase balusters, moulded handrail and dado with veneered panelling and marquetry motifs. Ground floor through room a C19 creation, panelling part C18, dentil frieze and modillion cornice, architrave surrounds to windows and panelled shutters, marble fireplace with pier glass above with carved swags of oak leaves and acorns at side. Ground floor rooms as east side subdivided and cornices cut, when east extensions built, front room (dining room) with dentil frieze and bold cyma mouldings, black marble fireplace. First floor landing has C18 panelling, moulded dado rail, bolection moulded architraves and 8 fielded panelled doors. 2 front bedrooms with central dressing room over entrance hall, with panelling and wood cornices, some panelled window seats and shutters. Front and back bedrooms on west side have interconnecting closets with 2 raised and fielded panelled door with 'H' hinges. Rear bedroom has fireplace with eaved architrave surround, with inner C19 polished quartzite surround, heavy double cyma cornice with breaks over windows. Service stair alongside main stair runs from basement to attics, dogleg plan newel construction, open string with brackets to treads and stick balusters. Second floor rooms retain early C18 and C17 style features of an archaic character. Front west room has panelling, dentil frieze, and crude Ionic pilaster surrounds to windows, fireplace with square panelled chimneybreast, door with 2 large panels above and below 2 small square panels. Rear west room has panelling of early/mid C18 style, moulded dado with large panels above and below, double cyma cornice. Roof

structure of four low roofs separated by valleys, largely sawn timbers of strutted purlin construction. Basement originally contained kitchens, plain flagged and board floors, 2 brick vaults, and said to retain passage, now blocked, leading to Hertford Castle. HISTORICAL NOTE: Bailey (or Bayley) Hall was referred to as a manor house in 1621. The present house was built c1700 but may incorporate features such as the attic panelling from an earlier structure. In 1721 it was described as in the tenure of Edward Blackmore, Mayor of Hertford in 1713. By 1800 it was the residence of Henry Allingham, County Coroner and Under Sheriff, who sold it in 1845. The exterior remained largely unaltered apart from the removal of a large segmental pediment over the middle 3 bays. In 1900 the house was purchased for use by the Headmaster of Hertford School, and the eastern extension, and later, a classroom were built. The building is now used for County Council offices. (Hertfordshire Countryside: Forrester H: Hertford Homes in Queen Anne's Day: Letchworth: 1946-1960: 104-107; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 189-90; Smith JT: English Houses 1200-1800: The Hertfordshire Evidence: London: 1992-: 133; Smith JT: Hertfordshire Houses: Selective Inventory: London: 1993-: 81).

Listing NGR: TL3264712452

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Smith, J T - Title: English Houses 1200-1800 The Hertfordshire Evidence - Date: 1994 - Page References: 133
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Smith, J T - Title: Hertfordshire Houses Selective Inventory - Date: 1993 - Page References: 81
  3. Article  Reference - Title: Hertfordshire Countryside - Date: 1946-1960 - Journal Title: Hertfordshire Countryside - Page References: 104-107
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 189-190

National Grid Reference: TL 32684 12468

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 04:55:33.