List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1268763

Location

2, ST ANDREW STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHertford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 461478

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HERTFORD

TL3212NW ST ANDREW STREET 817-1/16/200 (North side) 10/02/50 No.2

GV II*

House, now shop with dental surgery above. C17 comprehensively rebuilt early/mid C18, altered and shopfront inserted late C19. Dark red brick, Flemish bond, with pale orange dressings. Old tiled roof concealed by parapet. Square red brick chimneystack on ridge right of centre. PLAN: resembles a 3 cell lobby entry type. Main front has 7 bays, 2 narrow bays each side of a central 3 bay unit which breaks forward as do the pilasters at each end of the facade. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement. First floor has slightly recessed 8-pane sash windows beneath rubbed brick segmental arches with triple keystones at sides, and three 12-pane sash windows with quintuple keystones in central bays, spaced 2:3:2, with right centre a blank recess. Second floor has squatter 8- and 12-pane sashes, under segmental arches without keystones, bays 1, 3, 5, 7 blank recesses. Elaborate brick cornice with dentils and moulded bands. Ground floor has doorway at left, 8 fielded panelled door above 3 stone steps, recessed in panelled reveals with shallow segmental head. Doorcase with rusticated Tuscan Doric pilasters, entablature with moulded keyblock, triglyph frieze, deep cornice, 8-pane sash window to right of doorcase. 5 right-hand bays reconstructed with shopfront in late C19, with 5 equal openings out of alignment with bays above, Queen Anne revival style with panelled pilasters with moulded brick sunflowers alternating with checkerboards with interlaced initials WS denoting 'Wigginton and Son'. Recessed toplights alternate with pairs of recessed three quarter glazed doors, with bolection mould around lower panel, and rectangular plain glazed fanlights, all in brick reveals, with red rubbed brick flat arches with projecting keyblocks with raised modelled sunflowers. Brick stallrisers beneath windows, with cast-iron filigree grilles to basement, 3 stone steps to doorways. Oxblood encaustic tiled fascia with square block of foliated ornament and 'Wigginton and Son' in orange block capitals within orange margin band, ends of fascia terminate in twin moulded red sandstone console brackets, and roll moulded cornice beneath first-floor window sills. Return right-hand (east) flank elevation to Old Cross stuccoed

and blank on first and second floors, plat band at first-floor level, and twin bands just below cornice level. Ground floor has shopfront c1840. Closed shop window with large, nearly square panes, moulded architrave surround, stucco pilasters on plinths with torus bases, and elaborate moulded stucco foliated consoles flanking panelled fascia, with bold moulded cornice; stucco stallriser with central basement hatch with twin wrought-iron gates, with ogee tracery and quatrefoil band. INTERIOR: ground floor opened out as large shop unit, around west and north is a run of bold early/mid C18 double cyma and torus moulded wood cornice, cast-iron columns in centre support chimneystack above. Staircase leads from hall at left 'L' plan with lower flight open string with bracketed treads and iron twist balusters, a C19 reworking following creation of shop to east, upper flights continue to second floor, and are close string construction with iron twist and column on bobbin balusters and ramped moulded handrail, and dado. First-floor rooms retain some moulded wood cornices, but the corridor is a later creation. Back stair against chimneystack gives evidence for original lobby entry plan. C19 north wing blocks landing window of main west stair. (Forrester H: Timber-framed buildings in Hertford and Ware: Hitchin: 1964-: 25; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 192; Smith JT: English Houses 1200-1800: The Hertfordshire Evidence: London: 1992-: 162; Smith JT: Hertfordshire Houses: Selective Inventory: London: 1993-: 86-7).

Listing NGR: TL3243912673

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Forrester, H - Title: Timber Framed Buildings in Hertford and Ware - Date: 1964 - Page References: 25
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Smith, J T - Title: English Houses 1200-1800 The Hertfordshire Evidence - Date: 1994 - Page References: 162
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Smith, J T - Title: Hertfordshire Houses Selective Inventory - Date: 1993 - Page References: 86-87
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 192

National Grid Reference: TL 32439 12673

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 11:22:54.