List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRIDGEMAN HOUSE

List entry Number: 1268681

Location

BRIDGEMAN HOUSE, 37A,B,C AND D, WEST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHertford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 461566

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HERTFORD

TL3212SW WEST STREET 817-1/19/257 (South side) 10/02/50 No.37A, B, C and D (Bridgeman House) (Formerly Listed as: WEST STREET Nos.37B AND 37C Bridgeman House)

GV II*

House, now extended and subdivided as 4 dwellings. 1649 with C18 extensions, C19 alterations and extensions. Brick, now colourwashed, English bond, C19 extensions in yellow-brown stock brick, Flemish bond. Hipped and gabled old tiled roofs, C19 extensions with Welsh slated roofs. Central chimneystack, brick, now rendered, has arched panels, with projecting impost blocks, surrounds on each side below cornice band. Remaining stacks in yellow brick with terracotta pots. PLAN: original house two room lobby entry plan, with hall kitchen and parlour, with 1 bay service room with subsidiary fireplace on left (east) added early C18; building further extended and subdivided mid/late C19. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics over basement. 7-bay front, arcaded, with tall, slender pilasters, projecting impost band, semicircular heads except to bays 2 and 6, all with projecting keyblocks below band and moulded cornice. First floor has three C19 wood casements with glazing bars in pattern of 3:2:3, repeated in casements in wings. Central casement, above porch and door, smaller in scale. Ground floor has casements in bays 2 and 6. Moulded brick plinth at base of arcaded recesses. Central projecting square plan wooden porch supported by 4 Tuscan columns on tall plinths which form balustraded sides and have fitted settles. Strapwork-ornamented blocks above columns, and carved arcade brackets with pediments, fascia and moulded cornice; porch has two stone steps, stone threshold, and black and red tiled floor. Door recessed within segmental arch, with shallow stone threshold; panelled door, now cut into 2 leaves, upper panel recessed with inner oval, and carved strapwork key and impost ornament, square middle panel with inner recessed square and 'L' surrounds, narrow recessed bottom panel, all panel surrounds moulded, moulded architrave surround to door. Ledged and battened construction within. Roof with box dormers in front slope. Recessed double gabled 2-storey wing at left (east) (37A) has 4 casement windows; originally 1 bay, extended to 2 bays early

C19, and extended with rear outshut mid C19. At right (west) is 1 bay extension which provides entrance to 37C, with 1 casement on first floor, and segmental arched doorway on ground floor, with 6-panel door, upper 2 glazed. Tiled roof in line with front slope of main roof links and oversails to projecting right-hand (west) wing. 37D, with 1-bay street frontage. Ground floor pebbledashed, first floor yellow brick, with single 2-light wood casement. Right (west) flank elevation has three first-floor sash windows, part red brick ground floor at left with C20 oriel bay, door and 2 sash windows. Rear overlaid by large 4-bay double gabled projecting yellow-brown brick outshut, centre and left, divided between Nos 37B, C, D, first floor with recessed 12-pane sash windows, narrow outshut of similar character on right (east) to 37A. INTERIOR: No.37C contains original parlour, beam with tongued stop, fireplace recess reduced in size with C19 surround. C18 corner cupboard with profiled carved shelves in recess above. 4-panel door with quadrant moulding and HL-hinges. C19 staircase with stick balusters and Tuscan column newel. Front bedroom on first floor has exposed chamfered beams and dragon beams below original hipped end of roof, large arched rendered fireplace, at left C17 battened door decorated to suggest panels - narrow upper and middle panels with triple intermediate and lower panels. This led to a closet alongside the chimney, now blocked off and only accessible from No.37B. Attic now subdivided between Nos 37B and 37C but originally 2 chambers with central access; roof not accessible. No.37B: Entry from porch into hall/kitchen through doorway with ledged and battened door with moulded edges and 'V' inserts, and moulded architrave frame. Fireplace reduced in width with C19 bolection moulded surround with carved acanthus leaf cornice to shelf. Exposed beams with chamfers. C17 newel stair with close string, cut profiled splats, moulded handrail and square newel post with moulded cap on square pedestal. Door to east room similar to door to porch; east room has corner fireplace. First-floor front bedroom has exposed dragon beams as in 37C. Attic as 37C, roof, inspected on this side, has halved and pegged oak rafters in the medieval tradition. No.37A mainly C19 internal features, but roof over front has riven rafters and butt purlins of late C17/C18 date. No.37D, interior not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: Bridgeman House lay on the outskirts of Hertford and its site lay for many years within the Brickendon liberty. Its name is taken from Charles Bridgeman, organist of All Saints Church from 1791 to 1872, who died c1874, aged 96. (Victoria History of the Counties of England: Hertfordshire: London: 1902-1912: 492; Royal Commission on Historical

Monuments (England): An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire: London: 1910-: 71; Hertfordshire Countryside: Forrester H: Hertford Homes in Queen Anne's Day: Letchworth: 1946-1960: 104-107; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 192; Smith JT: English Houses 1200-1800: The Hertfordshire Evidence: London: 1992-: 163; Smith JT: Hertfordshire Houses: Selective Inventory: London: 1993-: 88).



Listing NGR: TL3229912268

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1902), 492
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 192
Smith, J T, English Houses 1200-1800 The Hertfordshire Evidence, (1994), 163
Smith, J T, Hertfordshire Houses Selective Inventory, (1993), 88
'Hertfordshire Countryside' in Hertfordshire Countryside, (1946-1960), 104-107
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 32299 12268

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 08:08:29.