List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1268288

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, LEIGH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 461978

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



SD 60 SE ATHERTON LEIGH ROAD, Howe Bridge

1480-/2/10006 Church of St Michael and All Angels

II*

Parish church. 1875-77. Designed by Paley & Austin for Fletcher Burrows, owner of Atherton Colliery. Narrow coursed stone with red Runcorn ashlar dressings, plain tile roofs with coped gables and kneelers. 2 stage octagonal fleche over crossing with tall spire. Chamfered plinth, continuous moulded ashlar sill band. Nave with single bay side chapels, north porch, transepts, chancel with aisles and meeting room and choir vestry .West end has large central buttress between 2-light pointed arch windows with reticulated tracery, above in gable 3 small lancets. North nave has timber-framed gable porch with side windows. Single 2-light pointed arch window and two 3-light pointed arch windows with lancets. South nave has single 2-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery , large buttress and two 3-light similar windows with lancets. Side chapels have 2-light pointed arch windows to west and similar 3-light windows to sides. Gabled transepts have deep butrt1sses flanking 3-light pointed arch windows with reticulated tracery and 2 lancets in the gable above. Chancel has vestry to south with single lancet and ringing room to north with 2 lancets. Clerestorey has 3 small lancets under relieving arc II on each side, north side also has raised stair gable with blind arcading. West end has large pointed arch window with 5 graduated lancets. Attached to west single storey meeting room and choir vestry with 3-light window to north and two 3-light windows flanked by single 2-light windows on west front. Interior has open wooden na're roof and 2 bays of quadripartite stone vaulting to the chancel. Chancel has circular and cluster columns supporting double chamfered arches. Fittings include pulpit on stone base with balusters, ornate iron altar rail, wooden pews and choir stalls.





Listing NGR: SD6649302447

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 66493 02447

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 04:15:58.