List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST BARTHOLOMEWS CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1268238

Location

ST BARTHOLOMEWS CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
MedwayUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 462096

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHATHAM

TQ7567NW HIGH STREET 762-1/3/15 (South side) 29/10/52 St Bartholomew's Chapel

GV II*

Chapel, hospital Chapel, now chapel of ease. Founded 1078 by Gundulph as part of St Bartholomew's Hospital, completed c1120, altered C13, nave partly rebuilt 1725, restored and N aisle added 1896 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. MATERIALS: flint and rubble with limestone dressings and a tiled roof. PLAN/STYLE: Norman apse, Early English N chancel, chapel and nave, Early English Gothic Revival style N aisle and SE vestry. EXTERIOR: apse has a half conical roof with 3 round-arched C11 windows with incised zig-zag decoration, and taller chancel gable. N chapel gable has tufa quoins, 2 lancets and a quatrefoil, with exposed truss, and 2-window N side. C19 N aisle has 3 pairs of round-arched windows and sill band with low buttresses between the right and middle pairs and to the right. W end has gabled nave and lower N aisle with exposed trusses, each with 2 lancets, the aisle with a quatrefoil above, and a buttress between. Mid C19 coped, gabled porch with a 2-centre chamfered arch to a similar W door with strap hinges. S elevation to nave has 2 small flat-headed windows, and a lower gabled SE vestry with a W arched door and paired E lancets. To the W end of the nave ridge is a steep square pyramidal spirelet with swept eaves. INTERIOR: chancel has a C13 round-arched sedilia with attached black marble columns, and a round chancel arch; vestry has a carved C12 piscina set on the top of a column with moulded base and capital, attributed to Hugh de Trottescliffe; restored round arches to N chapel and chancel arch: 3-bay nave with round columns with waterleaf capitals and checked arches. C19 roof has ashlar posts and collars. HISTORY: the only surviving part of the former St Bartholomew's Hospital, built outside the East Gate by Bishop Gundulph, and associated with his works at Rochester Cathedral. Used as a dwelling after the Reformation, the chapel was bought back and restored in 1725. The cloister lay to the S. Group value with the surrounding walls (qv). (The Buildings of England: Newman J: West Kent and the Weald:

London: 1976-: 202; Greenwood EJ: The Hospital of St Bartholomew Rochester: Rochester: 1962-).



Listing NGR: TQ7524967892

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Greenwood, E J - Title: The Hospital of St Bartholomew Rochester - Date: 1962
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Newman, J - Title: The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald - Date: 1976 - Page References: 202

National Grid Reference: TQ 75249 67892

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 03:01:40.