List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1267923

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN, NORTH CLIFFE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East Riding of YorkshireUnitary AuthoritySouth Cliffe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 462443

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



SOUTH CLIFFE SE 83 NE NORTH CLIFFE (West side) 1017- /11/10006 Church of St John

II

Parish church. 1873. By Lord Grimthorpe. Coursed rubble stone with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. Raised coped gables with kneelers and cross finial. Ritual west end topped by square bell turret with moulded round arched bell opening to each face and pyramidal hipped roof. Ritual west front has central pointed arched doorway with gable above. Either side single lancets and between a taller central lancet. Sides each have 3 tall lancets to nave section with buttress dividing off the chancel with 2 similar lancets. T o the west a projecting gabled organ chamber. Ritual east end has 4 lancet windows, the central 2 taller. Above small mandala shaped window. INTERIOR has plain brick walls with deeply recessed windows with roll-moulded surrounds and chamfered stone lintels. Pointed wooden chancel arch supported on ashlar wall columns. Chancel has single pointed ashlar arch to organ chamber. Simple wooden roof with collars. Circular stone pulpit with carved decorative panels. Wooden pews and altar rail with Gothic tracery. Minton encaustic tiles.



Listing NGR: SE8731036956

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 87310 36956

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 06:58:01.