List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MASONIC HALL

List entry Number: 1267882

Location

MASONIC HALL, 25, LOCKWOOD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East Riding of YorkshireUnitary AuthorityDriffield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Nov-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 462487

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



DRIFFIELD TA05 NW LOCKWOODSTREET (South side) 491- 114/10007 No.25 Masonic Hall

II Archaeological museum, now Masonic Hall. 1878, altered late C20. Brick with orange brick and ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs. Chamfered brick plinth, dentilated eaves. 2 storey. Street elevation has gabled front and projecting porch with dentilated white brick eaves and ornate cast iron balcony railings. Porch has ashlar surround with black marble columns, foliate capitals and triangular head with circular red marble ornament. 4-panel door plus overlight. Either side single plain sashes with ashlar lintels with incised strap work decoration and central circular red marble ornaments. Above pair of tall plain sashes divided by central black marble column with foliate capital, both have triangular heads with red and black fish scale tiles tympani and circular red marble ornaments. Either side single shorter plain sashes with similar triangular lintels. Gable has diamond shaped plaque with date stone inscribed 1878, and dentilated band below ornate bargeboards. Side elevations divided into 5 panels by plain orange brick pilasters, dentilated cill band and plain brick band above. East side has 4 remaining windows and a blocked opening all ,Nith triangular polychromatic brick heads. West elevation has single similar window and 3 blocked openings all with triangular polychromatic brick heads. This hall was built for J R Mortimer as the first purpose built museum of archaeology. He used it to display his collection of artifacts which he had collected on his pioneering digs in the area. It was converted to a Masonic Hall after the collection was sold to Hull City Council in 1918. This building is listed for its undoubted historic significance as an early museum of archaeology.



Listing NGR: TA0245957337

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 02459 57337

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 09:09:31.