List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1267661

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityBratoft

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 418065

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRATOFT CHURCH LANE TF 46 NE (north side) 1/4 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 3.2.67 II*

Parish church. Early C14, early C15, 1747, restored and chancel rebuilt 1844 and restored 1890. Greenstone, limestone rubble and ashlar, red brick. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch and clerestory, chancel. Brick west tower of 1747, of 3 battered stages, with plinth and first and second stage bands. Semi-circular west window with ashlar plaque above inscribed with the date 1747. Segmental headed casement above. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with slatted openings and segmental head. Battlements and corner pinnacles above. C15 north aisle heavily restored in C19 with plinth, moulded string course, brick patched eaves and 2 stage buttresses. West end with window with flattened pointed head, 2 semi-circular headed, cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. North side with pointed doorway to right with hood mould, label stops and plank door. Window to the left with pointed head and 2 pointed cusped lights and hood mould. Another in the east end of aisle, similar to that in the west end. Clerestory restored in C19, with 3 triangular headed windows, each of 2 lights with panel tracery and continuous hood moulds. C19 chancel with plinth and continuous sill band. North side with triangular headed window with 2 ogee cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. East end with pointed window, 3 ogee headed, cusped lights, sub-panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. South side with doorway to right with pointed head, continuously moulded surround, hood mould, foliate label stops and plank door. Arched window to left with 3 ogee headed cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. C14 blind opening re-set beneath sill band, with small, cusped ogee shaped head in rectangular opening. C15 south aisle restored in C19. C15 east window with pointed head, 3 cusped lights, that in the centre with ogee head, early panel tracery partially restored in C19, and hood mould. South side of nave with 2 pointed C19 windows each with 2 pointed cusped lights, sub-panel tracery, hood moulds and head label stops. C19 gabled porch to left with pointed doorway with double chamfered head, hood mould and head label stops. Porch interior with flanking stone benches and small C14 steeply pointed doorway, with continuous chamfered surround, hood mould and plank doorway. C15 clerestory restored in C19, with 3 triangular headed windows, each with 2 cusped lights, panel tracery and continuous hood moulds. Interior C14 tower arch with double chamfered head and semi-circular inner responds. C18 semi-circular headed tower arch inserted beneath. 3 bay early C15 south arcade, with pointed, double chamfered heads, octagonal piers and polygonal responds. Similar slightly later north arcade, both with narrower eastern bays. C15 chancel arch on C14 plinth, with pointed head and continuous double chamfered surround. C14 moulded tomb recess arch in chancel. Curved triangular C15 piscina in east wall. Large aumbry in south wall with rectangular chamfered head. C19 screen in chancel arch incorporating main struts of C15 screen, of 5 traceried openings, that in the centre with a flattened ogee head. C19 screens sub divide the eastern bays of north and south nave aisles. South aisle with a pair of small C14 piscinas. C15 octagonal font with symbols of the Passion, and foliate and grotesque heads on underside of bowl. Five C14 poppy head finials re-used in C20 choir stalls with eagle, head, angel, foliate and human motifs. C19 pulpit incorporating some of the original C15 panel tracery from the screen. C19 roofs, pews, lectern, altar, etc. Allegorical painting of c.1588, depicting the defeat of the Armada.

Listing NGR: TF4746065020

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 47460 65020

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 09:00:25.