List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORRIS CASTLE

List entry Number: 1267468

Location

NORRIS CASTLE, NEWBARN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityEast Cowes

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Aug-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 418622

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWBARN ROAD 1. 5270 East Cowes Norris Castle SZ 59 NW 5/71 17.8.51. I 2. Built by James Wyatt in 1799 for Lord Henry Seymour, who died in 1830. This is James Wyatt's finest work in castellated Gothic style and probably ranks with Ashridge as the best surviving example of all his Gothic work. It is built of coursed stone rubble with flint galleting and stands in a magnificent position on a slope dominating the Solent. Its most prominent feature is the round tower of 4 storeys at the east end, with castellated parapet over and a higher staircase turret attached to the south of the tower. The top floor has 5 small round windows, the other floors 5 round-headed sash windows of different sizes with glazing bars intact. Circular room on each floor inside. On the south or entrance front the main residential portion of the castle adjoining the round truer has 2 storeys and 5 windows. Castellated parapet over. Round-headed sash windows with glazing bars intact. Porch with wide 4-centred arch and embattled parapet over. Gothic doorway with pointed side lights and obtusely-pointed fanlight over. To the west is a square projecting tower of 3 storeys and a slightly higher elevation with round windows on the top floor. To the west of this tower is the service wing of the Castle, which is only one storey high on this front. It has 6 windows, a castellated parapet over it, and in the centre a 2 storey squat projecting tower with a round window on the 1st floor. To the west of the service wing are the stables, which are all part of the same building without a break. They form a square block of 2 storeys and emi-basement and 9 windows. The end window bays project with a round-headed window on the ground floor and a higher parapet than the remainder. In the centre is a square projecting turret with 4-centred carriage arch containing double doors and one window over it. Some of the 1st floor windows in the stables are small round windows and some ordinary sash windows with glazing bars intact. Round-headed sash windows in the semi-basement. Inside, the stables form a courtyard which has been glazed over. The Castle ends on the west side in a great projecting segmental bastion. On the north front facing the sea the stables are the same as on the south front except that there are 2 storeys of round-headed sash windows in place of the carriage arch. The service wing of the house has a squat tower of 3 storeys and 2 windows in the centre of it, flanked by single storey portions of 2 windows each. The main residential portion of the Castle on this front stands on a terrace with a bastion jutting out in front of it and forms a square turret of 3 storeys and then a recessed portion of 2 storeys and 3 windows plus one window bay still more recessed, completed by the round tower on the east with a segmental bastion jutting out beyond it to the east, as at the west end. The interior contains original integral wooden bookshelves designed by Wyatt in the library and ballroom, a vaulted ceiling to the hall, a stone staircase having a mahogany rail and iron balusters, a stone fireplace with arches having an elongated trefoliated pattern in the spandrels and marble fireplaces on the 1st floor with cast iron grates. George IV stayed at Norris Castle in 1819, the Duchess of Kent and Princess Victoria in 1831 and the Duchess of Kent again in 1859, Between 1880 and 1903 the castle belonged to the Duke and Duchess of Bedford and the German Kaiser was a frequent visitor.

Listing NGR: SZ5154496198

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 23 Isle of Wight - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: SZ 51544 96198

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 01:41:03.