List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1267350

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityFirsby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 418905

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FIRSBY CHURCH LANE TF 46 SE (north side) 4/34 Church of St. Andrew 3.2.67

G.V. II

Parish church. 1856 by G. E. Street. Limestone ashlar. Plain tiled roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. Gabled west bellcote with 2 pointed openings each containing a bell, and gablet kneelers and weathervane. Nave with west bellcote and south porch, apsidal chancel with north vestry. West front with plain splayed plinth and 2 chamfered string courses. Oculus with plate traceried quatrefoil and trefoils, set under pointed relieving arch. North side of nave with 3 pairs of cusped lancets and continuous sill band below. Vestry with tall chimney and pointed doorway in west side, with continuous moulded surround and plank door. Gabled to north with splayed plinth and 2 chamfered string courses. Pointed window with cusping and trefoil above. Chancel with string course rising to run as a sill band beneath the pointed east window with 3 cusped lights with 3 plate cusped oculi above and hood mould. Gable imposed above apse. South side of chancel with single pointed window with 3 trefoil headed lights, the central light being taller. South side of nave with 2 pairs of cusped lancets with sill band. Gabled porch to left with south doorway with pointed head, chamfered surround, including slender shafts as responds, and hood mould. Inner doorway with pointed chamfered head, and broad chamfered responds breaking into the head, and plank door. Interior with pointed chancel arch with chamfered inner order and chevroned outer order; semi-circular responds with large crocket capitals. Semi-circular stone pulpit with flight of 3 stone steps and tall pedestal and articulated by single purbeck marble shaft supporting book rest. Vestry doorway with continuous chamfered surround and plank door. Sedilia on south side with segmental head, inner cusping, responds and lable stops. C19 communion rail, choir stalls, pews and octagonal font. Monument to Mary Alice Walls, died 1877, of coloured marble mosaic with gilded diaper work, and young woman in white robes and with flowing red hair.

Listing NGR: TF4551262636

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 45512 62636

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:38:15.