List entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Long Load Bridge
List entry Number: 1267215
B3165, north of Long Load, South Somerset
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
|Somerset||South Somerset||District Authority||Long Load|
|Somerset||South Somerset||District Authority||Long Sutton|
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961
Date of most recent amendment: 16-Jul-2013
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: LBS
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
A multi-span bridge crossing the River Yeo.
Reasons for Designation
Long Load Bridge is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
* Historical interest: the bridge originated in the late-medieval period and has had successive phases of development, each of which is evident in the fabric;
* Historical interest: documentary evidence survives which suggests that the bridge was partially damaged during the English Civil War;
* Architectural interest: the upstream side is a good composition, its cut-water piers practical and attractive in their design to resist the force of the water;
* Intactness: it consists of historic fabric from the C15 to the C19; later repairs and alterations are minimal.
A multi-span bridge was constructed over the River Yeo at Long Load in the C15. Records from quarter sessions hearings in Wells report an unspecified amount of damage to the bridge caused by the Civil War, and in 1649 an application was made for funds for repair. A record from 1676 states the bridge to be ‘greatly broken and decayed’, so it is assumed that repairs, which involved the complete rebuilding of the central arch, took place after that date. In 1814 iron railings replaced a stone parapet, and the bridge was widened at a cost of £452; the plain west side is likely to have been rebuilt at this point. In 1985 replacement steel railings and coping were installed.
A multi-span bridge originating in the C15 with later partial rebuilding and alteration; it is constructed of local lias with Ham stone dressings, and brick and coursed stone to the upper sections. The bridge, orientated north to south, spans the River Yeo north of Long Load village, connecting that, and Long Sutton parishes.
It has five arches, the outer four of which are segmental pointed, with a wider and taller segmental arch to the centre. The eastern, upstream side has stout cut-water piers between the double-chamfered arches; the western side is plain, with a single chamfer to the arches. It has dressed stone coping and steel railings with curved vertical fixtures.
The span terminates with squat, square, stone-capped piers adjoining low walls. To the south west is a narrow flight of stone steps providing access to the water. Stones are stacked in diagonal courses forming a revetment to the south-west bank; the north-west bank has a wall of roughly coursed lias stone with lime stone coping.
- Book Reference - Author: Jervoise, E - Title: Ancient Bridges of the South of England - Date: 1930 - Page References: 93
- Book Reference - Author: Bentley, JB and Murless, BJ - Title: Somerset Roads The Legacy of the Turnpikes Western Somerset - Date: 1985
- Article Reference - Author: Page, William - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Somerset - Date: 1978 - Journal Title: The Victoria History of the Counties of England - Volume: 4
National Grid Reference: ST4670223792
© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1267215.pdf
This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2013 at 11:24:01.