List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BANQUETING HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 80 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF EYTON FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1267039

Location

BANQUETING HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 80 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF EYTON FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityWroxeter and Uppington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Feb-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 419946

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 50 NE WROXETER C.P. EYTON ON SEVERN

6/141 Banqueting house approxi- 13.6.58 mately 80 metres to south- east of Eyton Farmhouse (formerly listed as Remains of Tudor house including Summer-house)

GV II*

Shown on O.S. map as Tower. Banqueting house. Circa 1607, for Sir Francis Newport. Dressed red sandstone and red brick with diaper pattern; grey sandstone ashlar dressings; ogee lead cap to turret with globe finial. Octagonal plan with octagonal turret to north. 2 storeys with 3-storey turret. Plinth, moulded string course and moulded cornice to balustraded parapet with double-vase shaped balusters and moulded parapet. First-floor 3-light stone windows in alternate faces with double-chamfered reveals, chamfered mullions and transoms, and leaded lights; 3-bay blind-arcaded ground floor to south-west with moulded imposts and shield-shaped keystones; red brick and red sandstone rubble infill to arcade with 2-light wooden casements to west and south-west; inserted boarded door to north-west with fanlight; boarded door to north-east with segmental relieving arch; blocked round arch to south-east. Turret of 2 stages exter- nally with moulded string course and cornice, and two 2-light stone windows to each stage with double-chamfered surrounds, chamfered mullions, and leaded lights. Interior not inspected, but likely to be of interest. The banqueting house is one of a pair connected by a length of garden wall [the other is now incorporated in Eyton on Severn Farmhouse (q.v.)] which along with another length of wall, a walled garden, and a converted barn [Tithe Barn Cottage (q.v.)] is all that remains of Sir Francis Newport's house after its destruc- tion by fire. B.o.E., p.129; H.E. Forrest, Transactions of the Shropshire Archaelogical Society 40 (1918-20), Pp.134-5.



Listing NGR: SJ5729006117

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 129
'Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society, , Vol. 40, (1920), 134-5

National Grid Reference: SJ 57290 06117

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 11:25:18.