List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1266419

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityEaston on the Hill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 421672

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EASTON ON THE HILL CHURCH STREET TF0104 (West side) 11/52 Church of All Saints 23/05/67 GV I Church. C12 to C15 restored late C18 and mid and late C19. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and ashlar tower. Lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel north and south chapels, south porch and west tower. South elevation of south chapel is of a 2-window range with a large, 4-light, square-head window, to left, with C19 tracery. Single-light window, with 4-centred arch-head, to right. One- and 2-stage buttresses between windows. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet and central gargoyle. East end of south chapel is blank. 5-light Perpendicular east window of chancel with hollow reveals and 4-centred arch-head. North elevation of chancel is of one-window range, with a 4-light, square-head window with tracery containing quatrefoil circles and mouchettes. Relieving arch above. North chapel projects forward of north aisle and is a one-window range, with a 5-light, square-head window. Flanking 3-stage buttresses. Pyramid roof with plain ashlar parapet. East window of north chapel is probably late C18 of 4 lights with intersecting tracery and transom immediately below tracery. South aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range continuing flush with the south chapel. 4-light, square-head window, to right, with C19 cusping and similar 3-light window, with plain-head lights, to left. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. 3-light west window similar to south-west window. C13 central gabled porch has 2-centred outer arch, with double hollow chamfered surround. Panelled door. C12 inner doorway, with roll moulded, semi-circular, arch-head and one order of shafts. Trefoil-head niche above. Ashlar gable parapet with C19 finial. North aisle, rebuilt 1856, is of 3-window range of 3-light, square-head, windows some with reset medieval masonry. 2-stage buttresses, between windows, and similar clasping buttress at corner. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. 2-light west window with 4-centred arch head. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of 2-light windows with 4-centred arch heads. Clerestory restored mid C19 on north side. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapets and C19 finial. Chancel clerestory to south elevation is a 3-window range of 2-light windows similar to the nave. Gambrel roof with castellated ashlar parapets and C19 finial. Perpendicular west tower of 5 stages with moulded plinth. Shallow angle buttresses at corners. West doorway with 2-centred arch-head and hollowed and moulded surround. 3-light window, above, has similar surround. Small quatrefoil, set in square surround, to each face of third stage; east quatrefoil is now internal. 2-light window, with hollow reveals, to each face of fourth stage. Pairs of tall, 2-light, bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage. Each is under single arch, with central mullion terminating at apices. Quatrefoil frieze above and castellated ashlar parapet. Gargoyles to each end of parapets. Corner buttresses terminate as tall octagonal pinnacles with crockets and weather vanes. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade. Late C12 south arcade with semi-circular, double stepped and chamfered, arches with circular piers matching responds and octagonal abaci. Hollowed and moulded north arcade with octagonal piers and matching responds. Double-chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular responds, probably set into earlier structure. Tall hollowed and moulded tower arch with semi-circular responds and castellated capitals. Single-chamfered arches with corbelled responds, between arches and chapels. Single bays of double chamfered arches to north and south chapels. North chapel has semi-circular respond, with nailhead decoration to one capital, and north chapel has polygonal responds. 5-bay stone screen, with attached doorway, in arch to south chapel, has ogee head openings with cusping. Similar screen to north chapel has trefoil head openings, arranged in pairs. Head of C12 nave window, now blocked, above south arcade of nave. Wagon roof to chancel, with moulded purlins and principals. Carved figures at corbel level and rosettes at intersections. C19 nave, aisle and south chapel roofs. Plaster ceiling to north chapel is probably C18. Trefoil-head piscina to right of altar. South chapel is sub-divided, east end is a C13 vestry with remains of wall arches and a trefoil-head piscina with roll moulding. Fragment of carved and painted frieze reset in south aisle. C18 box pews, some with doors. One bench and is dated 1631. C18 pulpit with tester. Fragments of nedieval glass to north window of chancel. Fragments of medieval wall paintings to nave and chancel. Hatchment, dated 1826, above chancel arch. Octagonal font with shields and tracery. Monuments: late C13/early C14 fragment of incised slab, depicting figure in flowing robe, in south chapel. Inscribed slab below south window of south chapel to Richard de Linden, d.1255, and wife. Below north window of chancel is an inscribed slab recording Henry Sampson and wife who founded a chantry in 1411 and Robert Senkel, rector. Matrices of brass with Perpendicular surround, to north wall of chancel. East wall of south aisle, pair of arch head tablet with inscriptions recording Bridgett Tampon, d.1662, and Mary Brucknell, also d.1662. Tablet to left to John Jackson, d.1772. Inscribed tablet above to Charles Bletso, d.1753, has pediment over. Similar tablet opposite to Katherine Bletso, his wife, d.1772. Inscribed tablet alongside has draped urn over and records family of John Skynner, d.1805, including Captain Lancelott Skynner R.N. who died in the ship wreck of the Lutine in 1799. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p205; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p51)

Listing NGR: TF0110904726

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 205
Other
Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire, (1984)

National Grid Reference: TF 01109 04726

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 07:16:45.