List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STABLES APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF HAREWOOD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1266160

Location

STABLES APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF HAREWOOD HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeedsMetropolitan AuthorityHarewood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 422871

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAREWOOD HAREWOOD PARK SE3144 LS14 Stables approx 200 14/76 metres to south-west of Harewood House 30.3.66 I GV

Stable block now restaurant, shop and study centre. 1755-58 by John Carr (Linstrum p 74) for Edwin Lascelles of Gawthorp Hall based on a design by Carr dated 1748; his father, Robert Carr, was Clerk of Works. Ashlar,Westmorland green-slate roof. A square quadrangular building with an internal colonnade. Palladian style. 2 storeys. 11 x 11 bays, each facade symetrical. Quoins. Ashlar plinth and 1st-floor band which forms impost band in outer bays. North entrance and east facades more architectural. North facade: 1, 3, 3, 3, 1 bays; central 3 bays break forward and are articulated by giant engaged Tuscan columns distyle in antis, each with 2 rusticated bands; archivolt-arched entrance with rusticated keystone and impost bands; triangular pediment broken by taller central bay set forward with rusticated panels flanking central blind plaque; triangular pediment surmounted by heavy finial and finial to angles of pediment of flanking bays which have recessed panel to each floor. Outer bays break forward, have rusticated quoins and archivolt-arched recess with rusticated keystone, blind ground-floor window with arch partly glazed; cornice and shaped parapet with corner finials but lacking apex finial. Bays 2, 3, 4 and 8, 9, 10, have blind window recesses with square 6-pane fixed lights above. Hipped roof with ridge stacks to east, west and south ranges. Rear and returns similarly fenestrated with corner projecting bays and central projecting 3 bays under triangular pediment with finials but with 3 blind window recesses with 3 square windows above. Eastern wing (visible from house) more decoratively treated has central 3 bays breaking forward and central projecting bay with rusticated quoins, with, at 1st floor, lunette with rusticated voussoirs and keystone, pedimented gable with quoins carried up into tympanum surmounted by finial. Tall north entrance leads through to inner courtyard has within the re-entrant angles door- ways with rusticated keystones, flat ceiled with moulded cornice. Inner courtyard: 7 x 7 bay ranges except north entrance range of 9 bays, this has central projecting bay with rusticated quoins, arched entrance with keystone and impost band, triangular pediments; bays 3 and 7 have similar arched recess, other bays have 24- pane sash windows with raised surrounds and 2-light flat-faced mullioned windows with recessed mullion above. Other ranges have central projecting bay with rusticated quoins, Diocletian window, triangular pediment, with on 3 sides a colonnade of coupled Tuscan columns.

Whittaker (p168) attributed the stables to Sir William Chambers and Pevsner (p247) too gives the same atribution regarding them as chambers first independent work c 1755-6. It is known that Lascelles commissioned a design for the proposed house and stables from Chambers in 1755 and the design for the stable still exists illustrated by Harris (plate 43) but this heavily rusticated over-elaborate design was never executed. Mauchline (p24) and Linstrum (p 74) agree that the stables are by John Carr and point to the existence of an engraving, "A perspective view of the stables at Gawthorp. Built by Edwin Lascelles Esq 1748", signed "J. Carr," which was engraved from a drawing by William Lindley, Carr's pupil (Wakefield Art Gallery), which seems to settle this long-confused point. Mauchline (p23) gives convincing evidence however that the stables were not begun until 3 April 1755. The stables are important in as much as they were an exercise in building by Lascelles 4 years prior to the building of Harewood House (q,v.),and he could consider the work of Carr and that of the Muschamp family who were the master masons, the head joiner James Sanderson and the leadwork of Mr. Rhodes(both estate workers) - he was happy to employ them all in the construction of Harewood House. J. Harris, Sir William Chambers: Knight of the Polar Star, (1970) p40, pls. 43-5. D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture (1978). M. Mauchline, Harewood House, (1974). N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding (1974). Wakefield Art Gallery and Museums, Drawings and engravings illustrative of the County of York, x, pl. 7. T.D. Whittaker, Loidis and Elmete, (1816).

Listing NGR: SE3109644401

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Drawings and Engravings Illustrative of the County of York
Harris, J, Sir William Chambers Knight of the Polar Star, (1970)
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978)
Mauchline, M , Harewood House, (1974)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)
Whittaker, T D, Loidis and Elmete, (1816)
Other
Part 45 West Yorkshire,

National Grid Reference: SE 31096 44401

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 07:23:22.