List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SHUSTOKE HALL FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1266022

Location

SHUSTOKE HALL FARMHOUSE, MOAT HOUSE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityShustoke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423232

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHUSTOKE MOAT HOUSE LANE SP2390 (South side) 13/192 Shustoke Hall Farmhouse (Formerly listed under Shustoke Hall and Hall Cottage adjoining) GV II* Manor house on moated site. c.1686. Red brick Flemish bond an squared and coursed sandstone plinth. Plain-tiled hipped roof with wood modillion eaves cornice. Symmetrically disposed stacks with pilasters to the 2 shafts and cogged brick string course. Double pile plan. 2 storeys and attic. 3 C20 gable dormers. Symmetrical facade of 5-window bays divided by 3 brick plat band. 5-window range of late C20 cross-frame wood casements in original openings, having flat arches of gauged and rubbed brickwork. Similar windows at ground floor flanking central doorway approached by flight of 4 sandstone steps, segmental on plan. Doorway in moulded sandstone surround with flat hood on large scroll brackets of sandstone. Door with 2 bolection moulded X-shaped panels and original wrought iron door furniture and fittings including escutcheon, ornamental plate to the ring knocker, lock, and fleur-de-lys strap hinges. South side wall has 3 similar C20 windows in original openings. Central doorway, now sealed, with another original flat canopy on scroll brackets. North wall has similar fenestration. Adjoining on the east, cottage formerly service wing. Late C18. Red brick. Plain-tiled half-hipped roof with ridge stack. 2 storeys. 3 first floor wood casements. Interior: Open-well staircase of 7 flights and a landing. Turned balusters, toads-back rail and square newel. Throughout the house there are doors of 2 bolection moulded panels. The parlour is lined with bolection moulded panelling, also late C17, of 2 heights with dado and double cornice. There is a bolection moulded fireplace with mantel. The overmantel has an original panel painting depicting a classical subject of a hunter offering a boars head to a woman. There is an overdoar painting also on panel of putti playing with dogs, lance and drums. Two rooms at first floor have bolection moulded fireplaces. There is a plaster floor to a cheese room in the attic. Built for Thomas Huntbach c.1686 who lived there until his death in 1712. (VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV) (Midlands Counties Tribune: March 22, 1935)

Listing NGR: SP2339390019

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947)
'Midland Counties Tribune' in 22 March, (1935)

National Grid Reference: SP 23393 90019

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 07:24:38.