List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CALVERLEY OLD HALL

List entry Number: 1265966

Location

CALVERLEY OLD HALL, 14-24, WOODHALL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeedsMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-May-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Jun-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423424

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE208368 LS28 WOODHALL ROAD PUDSEY (west side), Calverley 2/174 Nos 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 25.5.66 and 24 (Calverley Old Hall) (formerly listed as No 14 and Nos 20, 22 and 24 Woodhall Road, known as Calverley Old Hall) I Manor-house. Early C15 Solar Wing; Chapel before 1488 (mentioned in the will of William Calverley c1488); Great Hall late C15 (dendro dated 1485-95, Hillam, p.x) probably for another William Calverley who married Alice, daughter of Sir John Saville of Thornhill and was knighted in 1497-8; West Chamber Block mid C16 probably for another Sir William Calverley, High Sheriff of Yorkshire (who through 2 marriages had 17 children); it is likely that the western extension dates from his time; timber-framed solar wing encased in stone c1630; North Wing added c1650; roof raised early C18 probably when the open hall was floored and windows were inserted after the Calverley family took up residence at nearby Esholt Hall, Bradford (q.v.). Large C15 dressed stone to hall and chapel, C17 dressed stone to West Chamber Block and northern extension and to early C17 solar encasing, other hammer-dressed stone extensions (now cottages) attached to left-hand return of chapel, stone slate roofs. 2 storeys. Reads from left: gabled Chapel with West Chamber Block to rear to which is attached North Wing; to right of Chapel and set back is gabled Solar Wing the front in line with Great Hall at right angles with tall steeply-pitched roof. Chapel: 4 internal bays deep; fine 3-light chamfered window with trefoil-headed lights to ritual east end; partially restored to original form by Messrs. Ferrey and Mennim (York) c1981; gable probably originally with exposed timber-framing replaced by hammer-dressed stone. Right-hand return wall has another 2-light trefoil-headed lintel with C18 window broken across to left of later doorway with segmental-pointed arch set above. Solar: 4-light double-chamfered mullioned window with 8-light mullioned- and-transomed window above with ovolo-moulded mullions and decorative leaded lights to upper window which has a hoodmould. Great Hall: large and wide (30' span). Gabled porch at junction with solar (doorway perhaps in original position) with sash window above; 4-light double-chamfered mullioned window with 5-light window above; inserted C18 cottage doorway to left of 2-light flat-faced mullioned window with 4-light window above, both with slightly recessed mullions and breaking into the left jamb of original tall window of cinquefoil-headed lights. Break in masonry above inserted window where gable-end rebuilt perhaps early C18 on original foundation plinth with central basket-arched doorway with depressed Tudor-arched former taking-in door above. Rear of hall range much altered by inserted later windows has main feature of large lateral external stack (capped at eaves level) with remains of tall chamfered window (blocked) to light lower hall end. 2 later ridge stacks and one to front pitch, other stack at junction of hall with solar. Attached range to left-hand return of chapel. U-shaped range: North Wing, 2-bay extension to West Chamber block, 2 bays articulated by offset buttresses. These bays have 3-light flat-faced mullioned window to each floor excepting easternmost ground-floor bay which has 5-light double-chamfered mullioned window with cavetto mullions. Set back is single bay originally timber-framed with C18 stone casing. End stack to left and one to ridge at junction of 2 ranges. Breaking forward under separate ridge with flatter pitch is C19 single-cell cottage of lesser interest.

Interior continued: much fine timber-work survives: Great Hall 6-bay hammer-beam roof with moulded arch-braced trusses and purlins with hammer-beams and planks concealing the wall-plate both ornamented with bratishing, possible spere-truss (over site of screens passage has), of unusual form: single 'A' strut king-post truss with a 'V' strut crossing in the form of a St Andrew's cross. Large 'A' strut closing truss. 4-bay chapel roof similarly treated but with plain panels or with oak planks applied to underside of rafters with thin ribbed members; 2 bays open, other 2 bays have floored gallery with full-height railings with moulded balusters and cross members similar in treatment to a mullioned-and- transomed window with, to meeting with truss, Gothic fretted panels. 4-bay solar of post-and-truss construction with moulded tie-beams and richly-carved spandrels principals and roof renewed but containing many medieval re-used timbers. L-shaped dining room of West Chamber block has fine richly-moulded coffered ceiling and Tudor-arched fireplace with moulded surround.

The seat of the Calverley family up to c1700. A gentry house with a fine late medieval hall, solar and chapel and as such very rare within the county and of considerable importance. Owned by the Landmark Trust.

J Hillam, Tree-ring analysis of oak timbers from Calverley Hall, West Yorkshire, report (1981).

Illustrated in M L Faull, S A Moorhouse (editors), West Yorkshire Archaeological Survey to AD1500, Vol 3 (1981), p851.

Listing NGR: SE2079636874

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hillam, J , Tree Ring Analysis of Oak Timbers from Calverley Hall West Yorkshire, (1981)
Michelmore, DJH, West Yorkshire: an Archaeological Survey to AD 1500, (1981), 851

National Grid Reference: SE 20796 36877

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 11:05:46.