List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1265911

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityNewbottle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423507

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP53NW NEWBOTTLE NEWBOTTLE

5/164 Church of St. James 04/02/69

- II*

Parish Church. C13 to late C15 with late C12 remains. Roof renewed in 1984. Coursed limestone rubble, lead and slate roof. Chancel; nave north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. Exterior: C13 chancel with lancet windows in the side walls and a C15 square-headed low side window of 2 cusped lights and transom. The east window is of 1865. In the north wall is a blocked doorway, probably C18, with an arched keystoned head. The south aisle has Perpendicular windows of 2 and 3 lights with square heads. That to right of porch is C19 in similar style. Porch c.1400 and has a sundial dated 1764 in the gable (renewed 1975). South doorway also c.1400 with continuous mouldings. North aisle has Perpendicular windows of 2- and 3-lights with square heads. North east window C19; north doorway c.1400. In the angle between north aisle and chancel is a stair turret to former rood loft. West tower, of 2 stages has crenellated parapet and C14 bell openings, each of 2 lights. West window is C14, of 2 lights with flowing tracery. Interior: Chancel has a piscina with re-used C12 zig-zag mouldings; sill of the adjoining window forms sedilia. Chancel arch rebuilt and widened in C19. South arcade of c.1400 has double-chamfered arches, octagonal piers and large octagonal capitals, probably C12, re-cut. North aisle of C15 has octagonal piers and moulded arches. C14 tower plain arch has late C12 responds with scalloped capitals. Fittings: Romanesque tub font. Octagonal pulpit with inlaid lozenge pattern dated 1584/F.B. Chancel screen is C19 with re-used Perpendicular tracery. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire p.311).

Listing NGR: SP5236136915

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 311

National Grid Reference: SP 52361 36915

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 08:33:12.