List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SISTERS' HOUSE AND SCHOOL TO NORTH OF CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA

List entry Number: 1265691

Location

SISTERS' HOUSE AND SCHOOL TO NORTH OF CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA, KINGSLAND ROAD E2

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHackneyLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 424253

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGS LAND ROAD E2 1. 5013 (West Side) ------------------ Sisters' House and School to north of Church of St Columba TQ 3383 30/300 II* GV

2. By James Brooks. The Sisters' House, built in 1898, is a 2-storey and attic, 2-bay building linking the School to St Columba's Vicarage. Red brick with stone bands and dressings, high pitched roof of Welsh slate. Single large dormer has half-octagonal front. 4 grouped windows with carved cusping in stone lintels. Pointed arched door under hoodmould broken at left for narrow window. Staircase window above and 3 quatrefoils just below eaves. School building of 1865, partly rebuilt after war damage. Similar material to Sisters' House but simpler design. 2 storeys, 7 bays clearly expressed on ground floor but in different rhythm of 2:3:3 above. Plain lancets with continuous hoodmould broken only by slightly projecting chimney bay. The west window has an incised stone tympanum. Ground floor paired lancets with fancy brickwork in tympana under pointed relieving arches with continuous hoodmould.

The Church of St Columba, the Vicarage and link building, the forecourt railings and the Sisters' House and School form a group.



Listing NGR: TQ3342083476

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 33434 83481

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 03:05:19.