List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1265165

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityOzleworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 425830

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OZLEWORTH OZLEWORTH HAMLET ST 79 SE 5/145 Church of St Nicholas 6.9.54 GV II*

Redundant small Anglican church. Probably mid C12 foundation, chancel extended in C14, nave lengthened and whole restored in 1873 by Rev. W.H. Lowder. Random coursed stone, stone slate roof sprocketed to tower and with coped end verges, partly removed for repair at time of survey (April 1986). Central hexagonal tower with chancel and nave, and south porch. Tower has 2-light window to each face on upper section with central shaft with voluted capital and cable-mould necking within an arched recess with chamfered abaci. North side of chancel has 2 cusped single lights and central trefoil head priest's door, and nave has 2 single lights and blocked chamfered round headed doorway in early section. Similar fenestration to south side. Two-light ogee head east window. Gabled south porch has inner doorway of 2 orders, inner similar to north, outer with shafts with stiff leaf capitals and additional decorative work probably of C19. Church now vested in Redundant Churches Fund and under repair at time of survey. Interior inaccessible but for a detailed description see David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, 1979.

Listing NGR: ST7942593288

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: ST 79425 93288

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 02:43:18.