List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GARDEN TEMPLE 200 METRES EAST OF BELTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1264931

Location

GARDEN TEMPLE 200 METRES EAST OF BELTON HOUSE, BELTON PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityBelton and Manthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1979

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Nov-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 382860

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BELTON & MANTHORPE SK9339 BELTON PARK, Belton 1315-0/9/103 (East side) 21/09/79 Garden temple 200m east of Belton House (Formerly Listed as: BELTON PARK, Belton Temple approx 200m ENE of Belton House) GV II*

Garden temple. Early C18, resited 1816, restored late C20. Stucco, with ashlar front and slate roof. Palladian style. Plinth. Central archway with channelled rusticated piers, imposts, vermiculated voussoirs and keystone. Dentillated pediment above. On either side, a small set back side bay with a round arched niche and a half-pediment. Each return has a small square window. INTERIOR has a stucco barrel vault, and contains a memorial urn dated 1826, on a square pedestal with Latin inscription. Marsden & Barber attribute this building to the time of Viscount Tyrconnel, 1702-1754; Pevsner states that it was resited in 1816, possibly from Culverthorpe. This building appears within Belton Park which is on the Gardens Register at grade I. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 139; Marsden J & Barber A: Belton House: London: 1985-1987: 42).

Listing NGR: SK9318739367

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Marsden, J and Barber, A - Title: Belton House - Date: 1985-1987 - Page References: 42
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 27 Lincolnshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J and Antram, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1989 - Page References: 139

National Grid Reference: SK 93187 39367

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2014 at 06:59:13.