List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1264896

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, BETHUNE ROAD N16

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHackneyLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 426701

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 03/10/2012

5013 TQ 3387 7/600

BETHUNE ROAD Church of St Andrew

II*

Church. 1883-84 by Sir Arthur Blomfield in Early English style Kentish ragstone. with Bath stone dressings. Slate roofs cresting to ridge. Aisled nave, chancel with lower roof line, north and south transepts with spirelet to east of south transept. South porch. West front. Flat facade relieved by stepped angle buttresses. Central doorway, with simple moulded hood with foliate stops, beneath canopy marked by moulded dripstone, flanked by pierced finials. Above, three 2-light y-traceried lancets, the central light taller, with foliated rondel to each side, the whole beneath flush ragstone arch with Bath stone band beneath it, terminating in small foliate stops. Horizontal Bath stone band to left and right. Apex cross. Doorway with moulded hood to west end of north aisle. Plain lancet to west end of south aisle.

5-bay nave. Plain aisle lancets, paired between stepped buttresses and linked by flush stone band at springing level. Single lancet to left of porch. South porch. Left and right paired lancets with plain stone dressings. Stepped angle buttresses with triangular finials. Simply moulded arched entrance. Vesica above bearing figure. Four paired clerestory windows, with a single window to east. 2-lLj?its beneath cusped circle, with plain stone dressings and between that ragstone pilasters. Short sanctuary with single lancet to south. 5-light east window.

South transept. Plain set-back buttresses to each face. 3-light plate tracery window beneath slightly depressed arched head with simple chamfered moulding. Encircled trefoil to left and right of taller central light. Entrance to left. Polygonal spirelet acting as bell tower with openings to each face, topped by leaded roof.

Interior. Richly decorated, in contrast with the simple exterior. 5-bay nave and single chancel bay. Quadrate piers with tall moulded bases and scroll moulded capitals; arcade of double chamfered orders. 5½-bay king post roof. Boarded chancel roof. 3-stage sedilia and piscina incorporated in the decorative scheme. Wall decoration by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, executed gradually after consecration. Nave walls representing characters from Old and New Testaments. Reredos of crucifixion and the Apostles. Mostly applied directly to walls, but some panels on canvas, set into the decoration, particularly to chancel, sanctuary and north transept. West wall has added World War I memorial. Glass. North aisle: 1886-1902, eight windows by Heaton Butler and Bayne. South Aisle, fragments of glass by same artists surviving, substantially destroyed during World War II.

Single lancet to east wall, of St. Andrew, north side of chancel, of Archangel Gabriel and two baptistry windows also by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. North clerestory windows, c1918, by Burlison and Grylls. West window by Burlison and Grylls as war memorial. East window 1951 by William Wilson. Rear of nave seating survives. Font, formerly to west end of nave, re-sited c1919-21 when enclosed by metal screen. Square marble font on multiple piers. Canopy is later.



Listing NGR: TQ3314387497

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 33143 87497

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 08:50:35.