List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1264755

Location

THE MANOR HOUSE, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityLong Sutton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Feb-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263220

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LONG SUTTON CP THE GREEN (south side) ST4628 12/154 The Manor House (formerly listed as Manor Farm House) 17.4.59 GV II*

Detached House. Probably late C15, reshaped in C17, C18 and C19. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tile roofs over stone slate base courses, between coped gables; brick chimney stacks. Complex plan: north elevation of 2 storeys, 6 bays, of which bays 2 and 6 are gabled projecting wings and bay 4 a single-storey lean-to porch. Mostly hollow chamfer mullioned windows of 2 or 3 lights, with square labels; but lower bays 5 and 6 have early C18 segmental arched architraved openings, bay 5 with a 12-pane sash window and bay 6 with French doors; open porch has semi-circular arch with keystone and moulded imposts, with an early boarded door with plain opening inside; gable wall to bay 2 has only a boarded door, but two 3-light mullioned windows in west return wall, and stone stairs to first floor level on the east return; bay 1 has an outshut and moulded doorway with flat arch. The east gable has further mullioned windows, one blocked, with small square attic window. The south elevation of 5 bays, of which bays 1 to 3 are early C19 remodelling, with 16-pane sash windows in plain openings under stone lintols, and an open porch to bay 2 of non-classical detail; these bays marked by end pilasters: moulded cambered arched doorway between bays 3 and 4; bay 4 has 3-light chamfer mullioned windows with flat head lights below and 4-centre arched lights with incised spandrils above, these last repeated in bay 5, all with labels. Formerly cross-passage plan, now modified, interior contains moulded cambered arched fireplaces, and some C18 fielded panelling to the main inner room, as well as two staircases, one in a turret, one spiral in a gable: roof replaced c1800. (VAG Report, SRO Unpublished 1976) Some early C16 stained glass iron the Church inside the house: the house, formerly known as Sutton Valence Manor, recorded by 1538 (VCH, vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4692225246

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 46922 25246

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 12:11:20.