List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE HOSPITAL FOR WOMEN

List entry Number: 1264651

Location

THE HOSPITAL FOR WOMEN, 29 AND 30, SOHO SQUARE W1

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCity of WestminsterLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 427258

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2981 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER SOHO SQUARE W1 58/88 Nos 29 and 30 (The Hospital for Women) GV II Hospital. 1909-10 recasing by Adams and Holden of two earlier houses, the former No 30 of late C17 origins, the former No 29 a rebuild of 1867-9. Matt glazed white faience and stucco; dormered green slate mansard. 7 bays, the left hand 3 of 5 storeys, the right hand 4 of 4 storeys. Faience pilasters between the two parts and to corners. Entrance to centre of right side, square headed. Square headed windows except to first floor where segmental headed. Flush framed sashes. Continuous iron balcony to first floor; individual iron balconies to centre windows of left side, to second and third floors. Cornice above second floor. Parapet, the right hand part with inscribed words "The Hospital for Women". Wrought iron area railings. Interior not inspected. In 1851 the former No 30 was taken over by The Hospital for Women, then established at Red Lion Square, and understood to be the first gynaecological hospital in the world. The hospital took over the former No 29 in 1865.

Listing NGR: TQ2972381165

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 29716 81182

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 04:08:10.