List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CITADEL

List entry Number: 1264270

Location

THE CITADEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityWeston-under-Redcastle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 428335

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTON-UNDER- - SJ 5628-5728 REDCASTLE C.P. 17/173 The Citadel - 28.10.60 GV II*

Dower house. 1824-5 by Thomas Harrison of Chester on site of late C18 building. For Sir Rowland Hill, fourth baronet of Hawkstone, for the use of his mother and her sister-in-law, Jane Hill. Red sandstone ashlar; slate roofs concealed by crenellated parapets. Gothic Revival Castle style. Plan consists of 3 circular bastions grouped around a central octagon with 2 castellated walls at 45° angles to rear. 2 storeys with continuous chamfered string course and false machicolations to bastions; mock gun-loops. Wooden mullioned and transomed windows throughout, those on ground floor and on both floors to bastions with plain labels; 4-centred arches to centre window of middle bastion and to inner windows of outer bastions on first floor. Entrance through shallow embattled porch to centre bastion; 4-centred arch with C20 Gothic traceried door. Octagonal spiral stair turret projection to rear of centre bastion and red brick stacks with 4 attached octagonal stone shafts to rear of outer bastions. Walls at 45° angles to rear with embattled parapet and stepped buttresses with gabled caps conceal late C19 red brick additions (formerly more extensive) to rear. Interior: main features to ground floor include original open-well staircase with Gothic tracery to cast-iron balustrade, plain open string and panelling to dado. Perpendicular-style fireplaces, notably the one in the dining room with segmental arch and trefoil decoration to spandrels. Ceilings mainly have plaster ribs and foliated bosses except to dining room,which is coffered and has elaborate plasterwork. Panelled doors and window shutters. B.O.E. p.312; C.L. (August 21, 1958) pp.368-71.

Listing NGR: SJ5711328430

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: 21 August - Date: 1958 - Journal Title: Country Life - Page References: 368-71
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: SJ 57113 28430

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 02:38:10.