List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HYLANDS

List entry Number: 1264253

Location

HYLANDS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
EssexChelmsfordDistrict AuthorityWrittle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 428387

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:- WRITTLE HYLANDS PARK

TL 60 SE 12/576 Hylands

10.4.67 II*

the description shall be amended to read:

Country house. Circa 1728 for Sir John Comyns MP, remodelling in early C19 in Palladian style proposed by Humphrey Repton; west wing 1815-1818 by P C Labouchere; east wing 1842-48 by J Attwood, restored in 1986-7 by Chelmsford Borough Council. Stuccoed brick with hipped slate roof behind blocking course. Stuccoed stacks with cornices. Neo-classical style. The central two-storeyed block has 2:3:2 bays with coupled end pilasters and a corniced parapet and is crowned by a slated, dormered, mansard roof and eight chimney stacks. Across the three central windows flanked by pilasters, a tetrastyle pedimented portico in the unfluted Ionic order rises through both storeys. The mouldings of the entablature are plain, and the frieze and architrave are undivided by mouldings. The inner capitals are parallel-sided, and the volutes of the corner capitals are joined at an angle. The columns are paired on plain stone plinths and the ceiling is panelled. A semi-circular arched central doorway with a Tuscan portico and modillion cornice is flanked by semi-circular arched windows. A palmette and rosette frieze runs along the top of the upper windows. The west wing (P C Labouchere, 1815-1818) is single-storeyed, with a similar corniced parapet and a hipped roof, having a five-window range, the central three breaking forward slightly to form an Ionic tetrastyle colonnade in antis. A semi-circular arched doorway was inserted in one of the window openings in 1908. The present east wing (J Attwood, 1842- 1848) follows the design of the earlier west wing, but is slightly longer. It replaced the first extension (Kortright, 1797-1803). All the windows are double-hung sashes with glazing bars. The two end bays at the back of the central block have bow windows (1797-1803), which were later splayed (1842-1848). Interior: Good interiors including drawing room and banqueting hall with neo-Baroque decoration; stairhall with elaborate iron balustrade to staircase and plasterwork to designs by Bertel Thorvaldsen in entrance hall and stairhall. Note: Situated in 500-acre park.

------------------------------------

1. WRITTLE HYLANDS PARK 5213 Hylands TL 60 SE 12/576 10.4.67.

II* 2. A large C13 and C19 stuccoed house built for Sir John Comyns, circa 1728 in a park of about 600 acres, altered later in the C18 and again in 1819-25 and 1845 by William Atkinson who added the central Ionic portico and the side wings, the 2nd wing was added in 1845. The present building has an imposing south-east front of 7 window range with coupled end pilasters and a moulded cornice and frieze between the 1st and 2nd storeys. The 2nd storey is divided by pilasters. The centre part, of 3 window range, has a great Ionic tetra-style pedimented portico- with giant plain columns rising through 2 storeys. The ceiling is panelled. A semi-circular arched central doorway with a Tuscan portico with a modillion cornice is flanked by semi-circular arched windows. The windows are double-hung sashes with glazing bars. The side wits are 2 storeys, each of 5 window range, arranged 1:3:1. The centre part, of 3 window range breaks forward slightly and the ground storey is recessed with a tetra style Innic colonnade in antis. A moulded cornice runs between the storeys. Roof slate, hipped. The north-west front was also altered in the C19. and the 3 storeyed centre block has a parapet and cornice, 3 storeyed canted bays at each end and a window range of 3:3:3. Moulded string courses run between the storeys. The 2 storeyed side wings have 1:3:1 window range and the centre part, of 3 window range, breaks forward slightly with a cornice and parapet. The windows are double-hung sashes with glazing bars.

Listing NGR: TL6848504195

Selected Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 15 Essex,

National Grid Reference: TL 68485 04195

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 01:29:51.