List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1264231

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityChilton Trinity

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jun-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 268881

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST23NE CHILTON TRINITY CP CHILTON TRINITY VILLAGE

8/34 Church of the Holy Trinity (formerly listed as Chilton Trinity Church) 29.3.63

GV II*

Parish church. Established C13, earliest recorded incumbent of 1309, rebuilt C15, C19 restoration. Blue lias and red sandstone rubble, freestone dressings, double Roman tile roof. Perpendicular. Nave with a South porch, chancel, West tower. Embattled 3-stage tower, diagonal buttresses, prominent gargoyles, stair turret; single 2-light bell chamber windows; 3-light West window, ribbed and studded West door; both with labels with carved head stops. Two bay nave, 2 bay chancel, predominantly 2-light windows, each light with a foiled head, foliated spandrels to both the inside and the outside, simple leaded lights, some with C18 iron casements; 3-light East window. The mouldings to the pointed arch door opening of the South porch and the tower arch are characteristically C15, the latter shafted; simple 4-centred arch South door opening, C15 ribbed and studded door. The chancel arch much mutilated but with the remains of some keel mouldings. C19 wagon roofs to nave and chancel, the latter unceiled; C15 ringing-chamber floor to tower, Lower entrance to rood loft evident; piscina to chancel with a foiled head. Interior with C19 fittings including pews, lectern, organ and altar rail; C15 octagonal font with a Jacobean cover; Jacobean pulpit; small table, splatt- back chair and 2 coffin stools of C18; tablets to Gilbert Marshall of 1787, Susanna Graham of 1785. The church was served by the Hospital of St John, Bridgwater from 1219. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2964639170

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 29646 39170

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 04:01:24.