List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1264213

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityFiddington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 268886

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST24SW FIDDINGTON CP CHURCH ROAD (East side)

3/39 Church of St Martin

29.3.63

GV II*

Parish church. C11, C14, C15, restored 1860 by John Norton. Coursed and squared red sandstone rubble, some herringbone masonry to South wall of nave, tower roughcast, freestone dressings, slate roof, crested ridge, coped verges with cruciform finials. Decorated and Perpendicular styles; nave with a South porch, North aisle, chancel with a North vestry, West tower. Embattled 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses to lower stages, small 2-light bell chamber windows; prominent clock to South side, coloured face, gilded hands and numerals. Two bay nave, 2-light windows; on the external South-East corner an incised Shiela-na-gig, a fertility goddess of C11 or C12; aisle of 3 bays all of 1860, 2-light Decorated style windows. Two bay chancel again with 2-light windows; 3-light East and West windows. Pilastered nave and chancel under unceiled wagon roofs of C15, aisle with lean-to roof; shafted lofty tower arch; simple chamfered chancel arch of 2 orders; 3 bay arcade to aisle on squat octagonal piers. C15 piscina. C15 bench ends. Jacobean pulpit on a C19 stone base; Font in a Perpendicular style, Jacobean cover; encaustic tiles to chancel; C19 organ. C19 stained glass; windows by Bell and Son of Bristol, 1912; A L Moore of London, 1901; Lavers, Bernard and Westlake of London, 1879. Three C19 tablets to chancel; plaque to tower screen commemorating 1860 alterations. C17 chest to North aisle; also in the North aisle a framed copy of the church plans by Norton. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2156840590

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 21568 40590

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 10:38:30.