List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1264158

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, KIRK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorfolkKing's Lynn and West NorfolkDistrict AuthorityWalpole

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 428487

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALPOLE ST. ANDREW KIRK ROAD TF 51 NW

7/52 Church of St. Andrew 11.8.51 G.V. I

Parish church. C15 with some re-used earlier details. Bequests date 1443 for nave, 1463 for porch, 1504 donation of lead. Restored 1811 and 1897. Tower restored 1902. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. Brick tower with ashlar dressings, remainder rendered brick and ashlar. Lead roods. 3 stage tower with angle buttresses to belfry. Arched west door below hood mould. To left a cusped ogeed statuary niche, to right a lean to plain tiled chamber built through buttress, probably an anchorite cell. Arched door to west, lancet to north and 2-light cusped window to south in buttress. 2-light Perpendicular panel tracery west window with embattled transom. String course between ringing chamber and belfry. Cusped lancet to south. 2-light belfry windows with ogee reticulation units. Crenellated parapet with ashlar corner pinnacles. Stair tower to south-east entered through external arched door and terminates in polygonal turret. Nave aisles supported by stepped buttresses, angled at corners. 3 2-light arched and transomed aisle windows north and south, the transoms with crenellations. Similar 2-light aisle west windows and 3-light east windows. Gabled south porch with angle buttresses. Arched moulded entrance with circular responds. Embattled parapet terminating in panelled ashlar corner pinnacles enlivened by crockets and finials. Porch with slate roof. Arched inner door with hood on labels. Low arched and moulded north aisle door. Clerestory of 8 2-light renewed Perpendicular windows between each of which rise pilaster strips interrupted by bell-moulded annulations. Octagonal rood stair turrets to north and south with roll moulded edges and spirelets. 3 bay chancel with stepped side buttresses, angled to east. 3 3-light windows with cusped arches below panel tracery. Crenellated parapet. 3-light east window of 1897 : wide central light ogeed below indeterminate tracery pattern of general Perpendicular character. Interior. 4 bay arcade of lozenge piers with continuous hollow mouldings and rolls to north and south. Rolls continue as colonnettes to rise from spandrels and apexes of arches framing clerestory windows and supporting wall posts of C19 roofs. Roof of arched braces to moulded principals. 2 tiers butt purlins and ridge piece. Tall stilted tower arch on polygonal responds. Chancel arch on piers panelled to south. Round arched rood stairs north and south, the latter below fan vaulted rood screen corbel. 2-light window over chancel arch. Aisle roofs~as nave. Chancel with cusped piscina within square surround and cusped spandrels. South nave chapel piscina composed of 4- centred arch on engaged columns within fleuron studded square surround below crenellated hood. Double aumbry in south nave wall, repeated on north. C17 tower gallery with balustrade supported on arched braces : turned balusters below plain handrail. On hand rail cast iron palmettes and alternating finials. Octagonal C15 font, the bowl carved in panels of quatrefoils and shields. C17 pulpit with carved arcading and interlacing circles in top frieze, the whole standing on sandstone plinth of C15. Over tower arch painted Royal Arms of George III.

Listing NGR: TF5016217558

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 50162 17558

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 12:13:06.