List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1263949

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityBrushford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 429118

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS92NW BRUSHWOOD CP

BRUSHFORD VILLAGE

9/39 Church of St Nicholas

6.4.59 GV I

Parish Church. C15, nave refenestrated early C16, porch rebuilt 1725, tower largely rebuilt 1887, 1889 church reseated, tower arch opened, 1890 porch restored, 2 new windows in north side of nave; others reglazed and font restored, architect C H Samson; 1907 chancel panelled and new gallery with organ added and ceiling inserted in tower; 1931 Herbert memorial chapel completed to 1926 designs by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Squared and coursed red sandstone tower, roughcast nave, squared and irregularly coursed iron stone chancel, Ham stone dressing to memorial chapel, slate roofs, coped verges to porch only. West tower with stair turret, 2-bay nave, south porch, chancel with memorial chapel set into hillside, chapel linked to chancel by tomb beneath canopy, entrance now via west door, Crenellated and diagonally buttressed tower, renewed merlons, trefoil headed single light louvred bell openings, square headed lancet below, string course, 3-light west window, west door; 3-light windows flanking single storey gabled porch, depressed chamfered pointed arch opening, sundial dated 1855, similar inner doorway, medieval studded plank door with C14/C15 handle plate, slate stone inscribed "This wall and porch was newley built in 1725", to right of porch tablet to John Goodwing, died 1774. C19 infill to junction of nave and chancel similar to that at Church of St Mary, Brompton Regis CP (qv), 2-light cinquefoil headed window under hoodmouid in chancel, 3-light east window, chapel with narrow recessed tomb bay, gable end with lancet flanking window in form of a cross, 3 lancets on north front with rusticated surrounds, arched heads cutting string band which is returned to west gable end at base of tall lancet above ribbed door, rusticated surround and coat of arms above, approached by lateral flight of steps with retaining wall, two 3-light windows to nave. Interior: rendered, with Ham stone ashlar and cement facing in chapel. Unmoulded tower arch with jamb cut by doorway giving access to pulpit set in roodscreen, chamfered jambs to tower arch largely obscured by organ loft, Plastered barrel vault roofs to nave and chancel, latter with only axial ribs and bosses, nave with only roof ridge rib and bosses, open ribbed roof to chapel, moulded compartment ceiling to tower, Five bay fan vaulted screen, much restored with pulpit inserted. Jacobean altar table, two C17 joint stools, branch candelebra. Woodern gallery carried on 2 pairs of columns. Tablet in tower to Robert Norris, rector died 1708. Remains of medieval stained glass in north window of chancel, glass in south window said to be C16 French, 1890s stained glass, window to child of Luard family, died 1891 said to be by Morris and Co. Square Purbeck warble font with arcaded sides. Herbert memorial chapel: chest tomb with effigy of A N H Molyneux Herbert of Pixton Park (qv) died 1923, by Cecil de Banquiere Howard of Paris under wooden canopy designed by Lutyens, the motif of a cross with circles in the angles is repeated in the leading of the apricot colour tinted glass. The chancel side of the canopy, above the coved cornice, has 6 panels with painted coats of arms, cresting on chapel front. A regimental sword in a billeted frame hangs on the west wall above the effigy, Door in west wall of chapel and one on south site qiving access to area behind tomb. A minor though none the less interesting example oF Lutyens' work which deserves a better fate than a general purpose storeroom. At time of survey it contains some broken C17 bench ends. The porch, no longer used, contains a late medieval poor chest and remains of stocks, upper half restored. (Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset 1958; Kelly's Directory, l914; Photograph in NMR)>

Listing NGR: SS9194925736

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Kelly's Directory - Date: 1914 - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: SS 91949 25738

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 09:52:39.