List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1263817

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityUpton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Aug-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 429590

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS92NE UPTON CP UPTON VILLAGE

10/111 Church of St James -

- II

Parish church. Circa 1870. Squared and irregularly coursed local stone, Bath stone dressings, slate roof, decorative ridge tiles, corrugated iron roof to vestry. Three bay nave, south porch, north-east vestry, chancel. Diagonally buttressed west end, two 2-light windows, small rose window above, three 2-light windows on north face of nave, lean-to roofed vestry, shouldered doorway, 2-light window on east front, octagonal chimney with gabled top, lancet to diagonally buttressed chancel, 3-light east window, two lancets and two 2-light windows on south front, single storey gabled wooden porch with decorative bargeboards on stone plinth, double doors with decorative hinges, lancet to right; bell-cote over chancel arch, decorative wrought iron finial, bell in trefoil headed, gabled opening, Interior: rendered. Perpendicular-style chancel arch with colonnettes. Two bay archbraced chancel with faces carved on corbels; 6-bay nave roof, foliage corbels. C19 fittings including pulpit, font, tiles in chancel; wrought iron altar rails; wrought iron frame for portiere; harmonium. Three bells, unhung, and remains of possibly Saxon circular stone font from the earlier Church of St James (qv). The earlier Church of St James was largely demolished c1870 and the present church resited about a mile to the south on the main road through Upton village. There are tablets to the Fergusson Davie family who were presumably instrumental in the rebuilding of the church. The east window is dated 1873.

Listing NGR: SS9958828905

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 99588 28905

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 04:36:21.