List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1263522

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, WEST ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HartlepoolUnitary AuthorityGreatham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 432123

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREATHAM WEST ROW NZ 4927 12/32 Church of St. John the Baptist. 16.11.67

-- II*

Church, late C12 nave arcades, nave of c.1792 in earlier materials; chancel and easternmost bay of nave, of 1855/56 in Decorated style by J.P. Pritchett to designs of J. Middleton; clearstoreys of 1869 by R.J. Withers; vestry and organ chamber of 1881; tower of 1909 by C. Hodgson Fowler; all on Anglo Saxon foundation. Dressed, snecked limestone; dressed limestone to tower; Welsh slate to nave roof; other roofs of Lakeland slate. Aisled and clearstoried nave, lower chancel, north-east organ chamber, south-east vestry, north-west porch and west tower. 3-stage tower with slender clasping buttresses and embattled parapet. Sculptured figure in niche to 2nd stage on north face. 5-bay nave and 2-bay chancel have Early English style windows, with plate tracery to aisles and chancel; circular quatrefoil windows to clearstorey. 4 bays of nave arcades are C12 with circular piers; westernmost bays are mid C19 with octagonal piers; all have pointed double-chamfered arches with exception of 2nd and 4th bays of north aisle which have double chevron moulding facing nave. Pre-Reformation altar mensa of Frosterley marble, on 2 early eleventh century baluster shafts. Pre-Reformation, Frosterley marble, circular font bowl on shaft and moulded base. Built into north wall of north aisle are fragments of sculptured masonry of C8 to C12. 2 bells cast in 1837. V.C.H., Durham, Vol. 3, 1928, pp. 245-246.

Listing NGR: NZ4923127502

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Durham - Date: 1928

National Grid Reference: NZ 49231 27502

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 04:35:53.