List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: YORK HOUSE, GARDEN WALLS WROUGHT IRON GATES AND BOUNDARY WALLS ALONG SION ROAD ON THE EAST SIDE AND RIVERSIDE ON THE SOUTH

List entry Number: 1263365

Location

YORK HOUSE, GARDEN WALLS WROUGHT IRON GATES AND BOUNDARY WALLS ALONG SION ROAD ON THE EAST SIDE AND RIVERSIDE ON THE SOUTH, RICHMOND ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityRichmond upon ThamesLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 432486

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5028 RICHMOND ROAD

York House, garden walls wrought-iron gates and boundary walls along Sion Road on the east side and Riverside on the south. TQ 1773 21/35 2.9.52

II*

2. Now Municipal Offices. Present building dates to 1690-1700, being a partial re- building of the earlier house, which was the house of James II before his accession. At the Restoration it was given to the Earl of Clarendon, father of James's first wife who was the mother of Queen Anne, who was born here, and Queen Mary. The house is of red brick with steep hipped and flat slated roof with modillion eaves which extends into the 2-storey wings at either end. Ground floor has rusticated cement facing, with central door with enriched surround with cornice on carved brackets and open scrolled pediment with cartouche and crown in tympanum. Garden front has central pedimented doorcase and is rusticated as on the front elevation with later single-storey wings. (R.C.H.M.) There are modern extensions and later alterations.

Listing NGR: TQ1654273401

Selected Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Middlesex, (1937)

National Grid Reference: TQ 16542 73401

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 02:18:50.