List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST HILDA

List entry Number: 1263355

Location

CHURCH OF ST HILDA, CHURCH CLOSE
CHURCH OF ST HILDA, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HartlepoolUnitary AuthorityHeadland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 31-Mar-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Dec-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 432556

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTLEPOOL HIGH STREET NZ 5233 (north side), Headland.

8/76 Church of St. Hilda 31.3.49 (formerly listed under Church Walk)

G.V. I

Church, c.1200, incorporating remains of early C12 church, on site of C7 monastery; aisles partly rebuilt C15; restored c.1724 and mid C19 by C. Hodgson Fowler; chancel partly rebuilt c.1870 by J.B. Pritchett (Darlington) and 1925/32 by W.D. Caroe, in Early English style, when whole church was restored. Mid C13 tower, restored 1838, 1893 and 1930. Late C13 Galilee chapel restored 1928; south porch 1932. Dressed limestone with roofs of Westmorland slate; stone slates to porch. Clearstoried and aisled nave and chancel, Bruce chapel (ambulatory), south porch, west tower with north and south aisles, and Galilee chapel. 3-stage tower has angle buttresses, massive late C13 shoring walls on 3 sides and flying buttresses to south side. Vice at south-west angle is carried up as turret. Above tower aisles with renewed windows, are blind 4-bay arcades. Mid C12 west-doorway of 4 chamfered orders, flanked by earlier doorway remains : 2 orders of shafts with stiff-leaf capitals and dogtooth moulding between them. North, south and west faces of middle stage have paired lancets behind 2-bay arcades with clock faces in spandrels. East face of upper stage has 2 lancets, other faces have 2 lancets behind 4-bay arcades. Embattled parapet has crocketed angle pinnacles. Galilee chapel adjoining west side of tower, has late C13 doorway of 4 chamfered orders. Buttressed 6-bay nave and 4-bay chancel have mid C13 lancet set behind partly blind 3-bay arcade in each bay of clearstories. Nave aisles have mid C19 windows. Altered early C12 round-headed south doorway of 2 lozenge-and-chevron moulded orders, those below springing moved outwards to allow 3rd order of nook shafts. 2-bay chancel aisles are spanned by flying buttresses and have paired lancets. Single-bay Bruce chapel has tall grouped lancets and octagonal angle turrets. Tower has quadripartite vaulting to lower stage and tower arches on 3 sides, that to east being shouldered and of 3 orders; others of 2 orders; all with filleted keel and roll mouldings. North arcade of nave has 5 rolled and keeled orders on compound piers with circular abaci and octagonal bases. South arcade has 5 keeled orders and compound piers, each with circular abacus and chamfered circular plinth. Round wall-shafts to clearstories. Chancel arcades similar to nave; 2 east bays rebuilt and blank but for lancets. Chancel arch of c.1200 has 4 moulded orders and compound responds of keeled, and filleted round shafts with waterleaf capitals and square abaci. 3-bay lancet arcade divides Bruce chapel from chancel. Font of c.1728 : scalloped marble basin and baluster shaft, with wood crown cover. Oak rood screen, 1894, by C. Hodgson Fowler. Piscina in south aisle of chancel, has nailhead ornament. Late C16 brass on north aisle wall, has female figure and inscription. Late C7 grave marker with runic inscription, on south wall of chancel. Worn medieval grave slab with effigy, on late C13 chest tomb in Bruce chapel. Many Saxon and medieval architectural fragments throughout church. V.C.H., Durham, Vol. 3, 1928, pp. 278-283.

Listing NGR: NZ5283633682

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Durham - Date: 1928 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 278-283

National Grid Reference: NZ 52842 33679

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 01:53:12.