List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1263070

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityBrympton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263492

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST51NW BRYMPTON D'EVERCY CP THORNE COFFIN 3/37 Church of St Andrew 19.4.61 GV II* Anglican parish church. C14, partly restored 1891. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings: plain clay tiled roof between stepped coped gables, with cross finial to east and simple bell turret with 2 bells to west. Single bay chancel, 2-bay nave, with small north and south porches. Chamfered plinth, corner buttresses of differing height to west end: east window and nave north and south windows are 2-light reticulated traceried, all with arched labels having square stops to east and south and curl stops to north; C17 2-light north and south chancel windows, incised spandrils, square stop label south side only: west window small 2-light rectangular tracery, plain label, probably the oldest; above a 2-light flat headed chamfer mullioned window without label. South porch probably C19, with moulded pointed arch with label under coped gable with cross finial, low 2-light window in east wall; nearby a stone chimney of C19, square base, with offsets and octagonal top with moulded cap. North porch dated 1613; plain chamfered semi-circular outer arch and pointed inner arch with early door, stone bench seats, C19 panelled roof. Interior not accessible, but noted were octagonal pulpit, dated 1624, some C18 pews and a C18 font. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5260417604

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 52604 17604

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 03:15:45.