List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTH WAREHOUSE AT FISONS HORTICULTURAL DIVISION WORKS

List entry Number: 1263014

Location

NORTH WAREHOUSE AT FISONS HORTICULTURAL DIVISION WORKS, PAPERMILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SuffolkMid SuffolkDistrict AuthorityBramford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433435

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRAMFORD PAPERMILL LANE TM 14 NW 7/80 North warehouse at Fisons Horticultural Division - Works. - II Warehouse, built as a factory for the manufacture of superphosphate fertilizers. C.1858-60, for Joseph Fison; the 2 uppermost of the 4 storeys were added in later C19. The main block is about 90 metres long, in about 24 bays, and spans about 25 metres. Attached to the east side at the south end is a parallel contemporary range of similar span but only about 25 metres in length. 4 storeys with a further floor within the roof space. Timber-framed with horizontal weacherboarding, apart from the west elevation (adjacent to a branch railway line), which is of tarred red brick up to 1st storey level for most of its length, with arcading at bay intervals. The arches have scone imposts and raised keystone; most are blind, with segmental-headed windows beneath the head. Segmental roofs, bituminous-felt clad. Most of the original windows in the timber-framed upper storeys are unaltered; in the side walls are small-pane hopper windows in pairs, each pair filling the width of one bay. In the gables are fixed small-pane sashes. The intermediate floors are of heavy lateral timber beams on circular storey-height cast-iron columns. On a site immediately to the south of this building the world's first complete superphosphate factory was established by Edward Packard between 1851 and 1854. Joseph Fison set up in competition on this site in 1858 and the two companies were amalgamated soon afterwards.

Listing NGR: TM1261547975

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 12615 47975

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 12:20:44.