List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1263009

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentShepwayDistrict AuthorityAcrise

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433551

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 14 SE ACRISE

4/4 Church of St Martin 29.12.66

GV I

Parish church. Late Cll or C12, C13 and C18. Partly-rendered flint, with vestigial herringbone courses. Stone dressings. Plain tile roof. Nave, and slightly narrower chancel. South porch to nave. Nave: plinthless. Two buttresses to west end, with lean-to with C19 pointed-arched light between them. Half-hipped roof with rectangular shingled belfry to top. Louvred two-light window to each face of belfry. Splay-footed shingled octagonal spire with weathervane. Three broad, round-headed leaded windows to south elevation, one to west and two to east of porch. South porch: C18. Chequered red and grey brick, with plain tile roof. Brick plinth. Dentilled brick eaves cornice. Roof hipped to front. No windows. Open outer doorway with elliptical head and pair of half-height iron gates. Rectangular inner doorway with moulded wooden architrave and tall C18 double doors, each of four fielded panels. Black and white marble floor. Chancel: plinthless. Same eaves as nave, but lower ridge. Large round-headed south-west window in ashlared architrave with raised outer verges. Narrow plain-chamfered pointed-arched lancet. Blocked (late C11 or C12?) round-headed south-east window with plain-chamfered stone head and jambs. Blocked round-headed doorway under and to right of south-west window. East gable end has large stone quoins, and chamfered offset about half way up wall. Pointed-arched window of two cinquefoil-headed lights and sexfoil, without overall architrave. Tall pointed-arched plain-chamfered north lancet. Nave: north elevation: three broad round-headed windows in unchamfered rendered surrounds. Interior: structure: pointed C13 chancel arch, plain-chamfered to east and with hollow-chamfered imposts. West face of arch incorporates voussoirs carved with embattling, from a late Cll or C12 arch or doorway. Short re-used angle shafts to west face of archway. Low pointed-arched C13 west doorway with continuous double-quirked roll moulding to its west face, visible from within C19 west lean-to. Roof: restored crown-post roof to nave, with three slender moulded octagonal crown posts, that to east end truncated, and with sous-laces, ashlar-pieces and moulded cornice. Similar roof to chancel. Fittings: octagonal stone font with panelled sides and octagonal stem with moulded capital and base. Pammet floor. C18 gallery to west end, on slender octagonal posts, with frieze of sunk moulded panels and with turned balusters and moulded rail. Royal arms of 1689. Monuments: monument on south wall of nave, to William Turner, d.1729. Round-headed inscription panel with fielded-panel pilasters flanked by inverted scrolls. Moulded plinth, breaking forwards on consoles under pilasters. Shaped base plate with palm fronds. Moulded broken-based segmental pediment with coat of arms to each end and achievements above. Cartouche on east wall of nave, south of chancel arch, to Ann Papellon, 2 d. 1693. Two grieving cherubs, and urn, to top, two winged cherubs' heads to base, and shield over winged skull crowned with ivy. Signed by Joseph Helby. Brass to Mary Heyman, d.1601, to south wall of chancel. Brass to Alexander Hamon, d.1613. Monument to Lionel Mackinnon, d.1854, on north wall of nave; parchment scroll with chamfered cornice, and triangular pediment carved with military trophies, with antefixae and black marble back plate, signed T. Gaffin. Monument on north wall of nave, to Thomas Papillon, d.1838. Tablet with plain inscription panel, and recessed side panels with channel. Moulded cornice. Moulded plinth with three balls under it towards each end. Shaped black marble back plate with coloured coat of arms. (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, North-east and East Kent, 1983 edn.)

Listing NGR: TR1984942818

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Newman, J - Title: The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent - Date: 1983

National Grid Reference: TR 19385 42235

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 04:36:04.