List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET

List entry Number: 1262963

Location

CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityBrean

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433625

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST25NE BREAM CP CHURCH ROAD (East sidel

1/12 Church of St Bridget

9.2.61

- II*

Parish Church. Originating from C13, predominantly C15, much rebuilt cica 1882. Coursed and squared rubble, coped verges, cruciform finials, slate roofs. Nave, chancel, South tower with entrance porch to ground floor. Perpendicular features. Plain squat saddleback tower created when struck by lightening, stone plaque to West inscribed:- "John Binchen Churchwarden 1729" commemorating the rebuild, plain semi-circular head door opening to South, C19 ribbed door, in the porch a stoup; C13 inner door opening of 2 recessed orders. Three bay nave, 3-light windows, those to South with cambered heads, window to centre of Worth wall with sole remaining original tracery; those to North with rere-arches. C19 chancel of a single bay; of similar date the chancel arch flanked by 2 corbels carved as heads, of the late C14 to hold the former lenten veil. Reused scalloped C15 piscina to chancel which is on encaustic tile floor; C19 stone reredos, altar rail and stalls with poppey heads. Pulpit dated 1620; lectern carved as a bold eagle dated 1892; carved C14/C15 octagonal font on a base with foiled niches; full set of C19 pews, the ends with plain thin poppy heads in immitation of a C15 pew remaining under the tower. Tablet to Edmund Hicks of 1893 by Cox of Weston. Late C18 strong-box under tower; 2 C19 chairs to chancel. C19 arched braced roofs to nave and chancel. Tower with 3 pre-reformation bells. All windows with simple leaded lights and stained glass. Church established on site in C6 probably by Irish monks and dedicated to the Celtic saint, St Brigit of Kildare. (Church Guide; N Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2968055951

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Church of St Bridget Brean Church Guide
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 29680 55951

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 11:27:10.