List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE STANHOPE MEMORIAL

List entry Number: 1262721

Location

THE STANHOPE MEMORIAL, THE MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityHorncastle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 434291

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 2569 HORNCASTLE THE MARKET PLACE (central)

6/55 The Stanhope Memorial

G.V. II

Memorial to Edward Stanhope, M.P. 1894 by E. H. Lingen Barker. Limestone ashlar, red sandstone, pink and grey streaked marble, some copper. 3 octagonal steps lead up to memorial with moulded octagonal plinth with 2 narrow bands of red sandstone. 8 pointed, richly cusped openings above set under crocketed gables with large foliate stops, and supported on markble shafts with shaft rings and moulded ashlar capitals and bases. Inside these openings, diaper work, and alternate openings with ashlar motif: to south, a relief of Edward Stanhope; to east, a shield with castle and rampant lion and "Adeo et Rege" inscribed on ribbon below; to north, another shield; to west a shield and inscription: "Erected by public inscription in the memory of the Right Honourable Edward Stanhope Member of Parliament for this Divison of the County 1874-1893". 8 openwork arches above with trefoiled, pointed heads supported on marble shafts with shaft rings with ashlar foliate capitals and moulded bases. Moulded band above and 8 trefoiled gables above with wrought iron finials. Very small octagonal copper turret set above with 8 trefoil headed openings supported on shafts with tall gables above with wrought iron finials. Tall pyramidal roof with wrought iron finial above.

Listing NGR: TF2589169618

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 25891 69618

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 02:50:37.