List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1262164

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, WILLINGDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East SussexEastbourneDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 293636

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EASTBOURNE WILLINGDON ROAD TQ 59 00 11/10004 Church of St Michael and All Angels

II

Church. Designed by G.E.S Streatfield in Decorated Gothic revival style. Chancel vestry and Lady Chapel erected in 1901 (with a temporary iron nave). Nave aisles and tower erected in 1911. Built of unknapped flint with stone dressings and Westmoreland slate roof. West tower, south porch, nave, aisles chancel, north east lady chapel and south east vestry. Tower of 3 stages with buttresses surmounted by weathervane. Bellstage has 2 half-blocked arches with double cinquefoil-headed lights to each face. Gabled south porch with 4- centred arched entrance with decorated spandrels. Nave has 10 clerestory windows and 4 windows to aisle. Gabled vestry with paired arched windows to south, and to east triple then 7 light cinquefoil windows, Chancel has large rose window with band of chequered flint and stone above with buttresses. Lady Chapel has 2 arched windows. Interior has 5 bay nave with pointed arches on octagonal piers. Roof of arched traced type with ogee tension braces. Chancel of 3 bays with clerestory. East window has stained glass of Christ in Majesty flanked by 4 archangels. To south is window depicting St Agatha and St Clare by school of William Morris. Lady Chapel has king post roof and stained glass window depicting Dorcas, also school of William Morris. Pulpit, choir stalls, lectern and organ chamber are original.

Listing NGR: TQ5974300085

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 59743 00085

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 02:59:05.