List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE

List entry Number: 1261946

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE, BROOKLANDS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
TraffordMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Feb-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436249

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ79SE BROOKLANDS BROOKLANDS ROAD (west side)

698-1/549-7/549 Church of St John the Divine

3/10/74 II*

Church. 1864-68, by Alfred Waterhouse. Coursed sandstone rubble, red tiled roof. Gothic style. Nave with double north and south transepts, north porch, chancel with north vestry (plus C20 additions to west end). The buttressed 6-bay nave has large 2-centred arched 3-light windows with cusped lights and large emphatic unfoiled circular tracery, linked by a drip-band which carries round the buttresses; square corner pinnacles; and a very large 6-light west window (the lower part now concealed by additions at this end). The gabled porch to the 1st bay on the north side has a cusped opening under a 2-centred arch with paired shafts; wrought-iron gates and immediately inside these a panelled screen and door. The transepts have large 3-light windows similar to those of the nave but with spherical triangles over the outer lights, and roofs with bands of green fishscale slates and red cockscomb ridge tiles. The chancel has (inter alia) a large rose window with circular tracery, a niche below this with the eagle emblem of the Evangelist, and a band of raised lettering. The porch to the north vestry has a moulded doorway with innner lintel inscribed "LET THY PRIESTS BE CLOTHED WITH RIGHTEOUSNESS". Interior: yellow brick with some polychromatic patterning; steep open roof; one south nave window with stained glass by Morris & Co., 1897 (Pevsner).

This building was formerly listed in the City of Manchester.

Listing NGR: SJ7891390316

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 78913 90316

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2014 at 10:43:42.