List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1261804

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeedsMetropolitan AuthorityHorsforth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436582

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HORSFORTH CHURCH LANE SE 23 NW LS 18 (west side) 8/125 Church of St. Margaret 19.10.1962 - II

Church. 1877-83, by J. L. Pearson; spire completed 1902 by J. B. Frazer. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roof. Nave with north and south aisles, south-east tower, north transepts, chancel. Large and prominent building, in Early English style, with stepped lancet windows, corner turrets. Five-bay nave has stepped triple-lancets to clerestorey all within 2-centred- arched surrounds, west end has angle buttresses terminating in short octagonal turrets with squat pinnacle tops, and west window of 5 high-set tall lancets; low buttressed aisles have small lancets, and gabled porches to the 1st bay: south porch, up 3 steps, has angle-buttresses, recessed 2-centred-arched doorway with a 2-centred arch with shafts and 2 orders of moulding, and carved apex cross; north porch is similar, but with 2 orders of chamfer. Tall 3-stage tower incoporating south-east stair turret has a tall 2-light window to the 1st stage, 2 small lancets in each face of the 2nd stage, a very tall belfry stage with 2 large louvred lancets in each side, all with 3 orders of chamfer and set in recessed panels with deeply.-weathered sills, and carved corbels above; and a broach spire with lucarnes on 3 levels. On north side of nave and chancel are coupled transepts, with stepped quintuple lancet windows under hoodmoulds. Chancel has 3 tall lancets in the south side, and an east window of three 2-light lancets with Y-tracery, separated by pilaster strips, and all within a recessed arch.

Interior: 5-bay aisle arcades of short columns with moulded annular caps, 2-centred double-chamfered arches; single-chamfered cross arches to the aisle; double-chamfered arches to north transepts; shafted arches on north and south sides of chancel, the former moulded and the latter chamfered; arch-braced collar-truss roof.

Listing NGR: SE2361138264

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 23611 38264

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 08:06:52.