List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1261786

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, (INCLUDING RAILINGS TO WEST AND SOUTH), HAGGERSTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHackneyLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436642

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added: HAGGERSTON ROAD TQ 3383 (east side) 735-/30/10015 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS (including railings to west and south) II

Anglican church. 1855-6 by the architect P C Hardwick, in the Gothic style. Extended by TE Knightley, who rebuilt the aisles to accommodate galleries probably in the early 1860s. Nave re-roofed 1901 following fire; some repairs 1949-53 after World War II damage. Kentish rag with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Three-bay nave with aisles under separate roofs, one-and-a-halfbay chancel, the north aisle with organ moved there from western gallery in 1879, the south aisle treated as vestigial transept externally and with single-storey vestry attached to east. West and (larger) south porches, the latter much repaired after bomb damage but with original ballflower decoration. South-west door serving balcony reached up stone steps with trefoil-decorated balustrade. Octagonal corner buttresses to east and west, the west end with banding at gallery level and high central gable culminating in projecting bellcote with bulbous capitals and spirelet. Aisle windows on two levels reflecting presence of balconies within. Most windows paired lancets with early Decorative tracery, the west end with four-fight window and the east with five; south-east window to chancel aisle with three-light decorated window over decorative trefoils. Interior is curiously old-fashioned for its date and survives remarkably completely. The interior plastered and painted. Three-bay unmoulded arcades on massive round piers with foliate capitals. Galleries behind to three sides supported on cast-iron columns, with timber fronts decorated with trefoils and fully pewed, originally reached from exterior only, a rare feature. Nave floor with pews; font with rich foliate decoration reflecting that of arcade capitals, cover dated 1916 a memorial to the first incumbent (installed 1918). The altar moved forward late 1970s, but reredos survives in original position at east end, with altar rails. East window in traditional style, 1949, the date the organ was repaired. Railings to south and west boundaries of small churchyard contemporary, with alternating trefoil heads on a heavy cast-iron plinth. Included as a fascinating mixture of new and old ideas in church architecture from the late 1850s; the unmoulded arcades and robust-detailing were modern, whilst the installation of-galleries to serve a rapidly-expanding population was retrogressive. The building has subsequently been little altered.

Listing NGR: TQ3370783994

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 33707 83994

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 09:06:10.