List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1261462

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
EssexTendringDistrict AuthorityLawford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 437489

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LAWFORD CHURCH HILL TM 03 SE

2/104 Church of St. Mary 17.11.66 GV I

Parish church. C14 Nave, mid C14 Chancel and South Porch, West Tower may be C14 but was extensively altered C16, C17 and later. Circa 1826 north aisle and later restorations including the rebuilding of the Chancel arch. Of flint, rubble, septaria and brick, limestone dressings, red tiled roof with diamond patterning and pierced ridge tiles. Cross to gable. Chancel. Moulded plinth, walls below windows of flint and brick chequer work, moulded band below windows. Angle buttresses, that to south east with 2 niches with trefoiled ogees and crocketted heads and side shafts with pinnacles, north and south walls each with 2 buttresses. Central north buttress with trefoiled ogee niche and similar niche to south western buttress. North wall plastered above windows, south wall flint dressed with red brick below eaves. East window C19/C20 except for rear splays, arch and label, of 5 trefoiled lights with tracery in a moulded 2 centred head, moulded stopped label. 4 north wall windows', the eastern. of 3 trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a 2 centred head, moulded label, jambs and mullions, the second of 3 lights, the middle one cinquefoiled, the other 2 trefoiled tracery over of similar style to east window. The 2 western windows each of 3 trefoiled ogee lights with quatrefoils or trefoils in 2 centred heads etc., similar to the other windows. The south wall has 4 similar windows, the tracery different in each window, excepting western window of 3 cinquefoil lights, they are of 3 trefoiled lights. Moulded and carved 2 centred arch doorway below second window. Nave. South wall, stone corbels to gutter. 2 C14 windows with C18 frames and mullions, 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights tracery over 2 centred arch heads and labels. The C14 south door is between the windows, moulded jambs, 2-centred arch and label with defaced head stops. C14 gabled south porch, timber framed on dwarf walls. The moulded 2 centred outer arch probably C19, but flanking it, now covered by foliage are a pair of lights with cinquefoil ogee heads add traceried spandrels. Side walls plastered outside, of 3 bays, each bay of 3 cinquefoiled lights with elaborate tracery over, the north east bay has lost its lights and tracery and there are no mullions to the centre bays. The roof is flat and divided into 2 square bays by moulded ribs with central bosses, all defaced except 2 which have a face and a rosette respectively. C14 stoup with moulded jambs and cinquefoiled head. The north aisle, of ashlar, has grey slate double hipped roofs, central and angle buttresses and two 3 light 2 centre arched windows to north wall and a segmental pointed head window to western wall. West tower, buttressed to western angles, stair turret to south east wall, C19 red brick full height chimney stack to north east angle, C19/C20 parapet of red brick. Moulded plinth with some chequer work. Some flint panelling remains to north and south walls, the rest showing signs of many repairs. Bell turret with C19/C20 2 light louvred openings with segmental heads to each face, red brick roundel to upper stage of north face. C19 western window of 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights, chamfered 2 centred head. C19/C20 western doorway, moulded 4 centred head, label over, vertically boarded door with ornate hinges. Weathervane. Interior. Chancel. Probably C19/C20 boarded barrell vaulted roof with bosses at intersections, moulded foliate wall plate. 2 C19 tie beams and octagonal 4 armed crown posts. The 4 north and south wall windows are included underwall arcading resting on attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The arch moulds are richly. carved, the 2 north western bays with foliage, the second bay with owls and foliage and the north east with mostly male figures forming a chain, some holding each other by hand or foot, 2 with musical instruments. The southern window arches covered with foliage to 2 western bays, foliage and squirrels to second bay and foliage and birds to eastern bay. Below the southern windows the C14 Piscina, 3 bay Sedilia and door arch are surmounted by a moulded cornice with carved dragons and animal heads, mainly defaced. The 5 bays are divided by square piers with diapered faces and attached shafts with moulded bases and foliated capitals, moulded cinquefoiled ogee heads with moulded and crocketed labels, moulded and crocketed finials to piers between bays reaching into the cornice. The spandrels are carved with oak and vine leaves and each has a figure in high relief of a robed figure probably playing a musical instrument, all defaced. The door spandrels each have a central crowned head and a number of smaller defaced figures. Round drain to Piscina. Monument on north wall to Edward Waldegrave 1584 and Johan (Ackworth) his wife, alabaster and marble, kneeling figures of a man and his Wife in round headed recessed arches, divided and flanked by Corinthian columns supporting an entablature, cresting and 3 shields of arms. Diamond tiled floor with 3 floor slabs. Edward Waldegrave 1621, Thomas Harris 1699, Dame Sarah Bingham, wife of William Waldegrave 1634. C19 stained glass to east window. Fragment of medieval glass to 2 northern windows. C19 carved and traceried alabaster panelling to north wall and similar panelling with central triptych forming east wall, reredos, this with carved initials, foliage, tall niches to north and south of east window with carved figures of ?Christ and Mary. C19 multi-colour tiled sanctuary floor. C19 wrought iron altar rails. C19 poppyhead choir stalls. C19/C20 Chancel arch, 2- centred of 2 chamfered orders resting on pilasters supported by foliated corbels. Nave. C19 3 bay canted roof, carved ashlars, 2 arched braces resting on plain corbels. Brass eagle lectern. Circa 1906 timber octagonal panelled pulpit. 2 hatchments each to north and south walls and one charity board to south wall. North aisle of 3 bays, the eastern bay an organ chamber, octagonal and circular columns with foliate capitals, 2 centred arches. Cast iron floor ventilator strips. Stone/cement urn font, moulded base, moulded petal base with ringed bowl stem and moulded rim. Painting of Lawford Church on north aisle wall. C19/C20 moulded brick 2 centred Tower arch. RCHM I.

Listing NGR: TM0890331571

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)

National Grid Reference: TM 08903 31571

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:40:30.