List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GARVIN HOUSE

List entry Number: 1261018

Location

GARVIN HOUSE, 158 AND 160, TWICKENHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHounslowLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Jun-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 438728

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



787/24/369 TWICKENHAM ROAD 15-JUN-51 ISLEWORTH 158 AND 160 Garvin House

II*



House. Circa 1700 with early C19 addition to north and some C19 refenestration. Brown brick with red brick dresings, cement rendered to rear and hipped slate roof. Three storeys; 5 windows. Double-hung sashes in architraves with flat arches. Second floor windows are 12-pane sashes with wide glazing bars, first and second floors have taller narrower windows with eight large panes. Dentilled eaves cornice and brick bands between floors. Wooden door surround of Roman Doric pilasters and entablature with guttae and triglyphs. Eight fielded panel door. Blue plaque to Vincent Van Gogh who lived here in 1876. Rear elvation similar but with central doorcase with tall rectangular fanlight and four panelled door. Two storey lower early C19 addition to north with 12-pane sash and cambered headed doorcase. INTERIOR: Original part has fine early C18 well staircase with two turned and one twisted baluster to each tread, scrolled tread ends, column newel posts and dado panels. Ground floor has south rear room with moulded cornice, C18 panelling and mid C19 marble fireplace and north rear room with similar cornice and panelling but with moulded dado rail, shutters and windowseats. First floor has panelled lobby at head of main staircase and rear through room stretching the full width with moulded cornice, full-height panelling and C19 fireplaces with firegrates. Second floor rear room has C19 plank panelling. C18 two and six panelled doors. HISTORY: Vincent Van Gogh taught here in 1876 when it was a preparatory school and is thought to have lodged in a small second floor bedroom.

[Pevsner "Buildings of England. London 3: North West" 1991 p426.]

Listing NGR: TQ1614775588

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: London 3 North West - Date: 1991 - Page References: 426

National Grid Reference: TQ 16147 75588

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 02:01:09.